Business email etiquettes
A company needs to implement etiquette for the following three reasons:
1. Subject Line :
- Protection from liability
1. Subject Line :
- Should have minimum words
- Should be grammatically accurate
- Never have just an FYI
- Always have reference whenever required
- Give the reader accurate picture of what the mail is
- Fresh mail always start with salutation trails however need not have any salutation
- Acceptable salutation
- Hi Sadana
- Dear Mr. Joshi (only for extremely formal mail)
- Dear Rajesh
- Try to keep email brief (one screen length)
- All content should be left aligned and not indented.
- As for as possible to use bullet and point or short paragraph.
- Format your emailfor plain text rather than rich text.
- Use font that has professional or neutral look.
- Keep Backgroud plain.
- Avoid writing in paragraph where possible
- Use topic sentence to begin your paragraph.
- Give the paragraph movement ( i.e Use Active Voice )
- Average length of a para is 6 lines. However in emails one line para are acceptable.
- Spell small numbers out
- Dont start the sentence with numeral.
- Centuries and decades should be spelled out.
- Use bullet and point to explain your view effectively.
- Use number or letter to indicate sequence or importance.
- Use numbering when appropriate.
- Try combination of numeric and letters for complex issues.
- Make bullet points consistent.
- Avoid making bullet points so long.
- Be sure bullet points are related.
- Begin with action verbs when possible.
- Easy to read
- Neatly placed information.
- Can be indexed.
- Breaks monotony.
- Adds visual elements.
- Picture speak a thousand words.
- Create lasting impression.
- Add clarity to written communication
- Can work as diagram.
- Write in a positive tone.
- Avoid negative words.
- Use contractions to add a friendly tone.
- Try the direct route.
- Avoid aggresive tone.
- Using all CAPS can seems like you are yelling.
- Only use all CAPS when trying to make a point.
- Using all lower cases letters looks lazy.
- Use bold formatting to emphasize important words.
- Use black or blue colors for standard emails.
- Avoid attachments if possible.
- Do not include unnecessary files.Delete attachments while forwarding emails if possible.
- File name should indicate the content of the file.
- If there are more than 1 attachment, a list of attachment and a brief about them can be included in the email.
- Read your email at least 2 times.
- Use grammar and spell check.
- Look for conciseness and clarity.
- Make the effort to reply point to point
- Try and reply within 24 hrs.
- Remove parts of the previous mails that no longer apply to your response.
- Dont just type your message and hit reply.
- Keep only neccesary in loop.
- Do mention the action item.
- Use professional signature.
vishnu priyaYa another etiquette is that one should reply to the mail that he/she gets within 24 hrs of time.
Ramani AswathThis may be an addendum:
You are reading an archived discussion.
Does c++ supports pointers or not? if it is then how it can provide security over data. Elaborate pls....And thank you very much in advance.
What is the difference between microprocessor based relay & microcontroller based relay?
hi friends i am new to the android testing. I have a doubt regarding this. without having the source code can we write test cases for android ? and we...
I am a part of 'Engineers Without Borders' Team of my college and as the first project, we are conducting energy audit of our college. From what the team discussed,...
Amazon Launches Toy e-Commerce Site – YoYo - CrazyEngineers TRAI Brings 100 SMS Per Day Restriction From Sept 27 - CrazyEngineers ShieldPRO N22G – A Notebook For Rugged Users -...