BumbleBee 3.1 Released (Good News For Nvidia Users Running Linux)

BumbleBee is a tool which brings Nvidia Optimus GPU switching to Linux.

What is Nvidia Optimus GPU Switching ?
This is the new technology switches between two graphics adapter i.e. Low performance Intel & High performance Nvidia.
By switching the adapters,the battery life is increased as the idle graphics adapter is not given any power, so virtually acts as if it is detached from the chipset.

BumbleBee is an unofficial tool for Nvidia Optimus GPU.This technology is officially released for Windows users but not for Linux users.There were many other reasons why Nvidia was never seemed to be interested in support for such technology for Linux users.

No wonder why Linus holler at Nvidia for their whack policy :
Linus-Nvidia-fuck-you-portada2

Anyways, Back to topic :
Along with Primus support, BumbleBee 3.1 also supports legacy Nvidia Hybrid graphics.

Here is the detailed release note : Bumblebee/RELEASE_NOTES_3_1 at master · Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee · GitHub

You have to #-Link-Snipped-#
 ppa:bumblebee/stable 
After Adding PPA open terminal & type :
 sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia 
After installing this tool - reboot Ubuntu & type "optirun glxspheres" in terminal to see whether everything's working fine.

To use the Nvidia GPU for an application or Game, you can launch it by typing command "optirun" in Terminal.
For eg : optirun steam

For more information, check the official website : #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want clear circuit diagram which should give the output
I want to make a simple RADAR that will detect an object and will notify the distance of the object. I can use either 8051 or Arduino for this. Please...
when we are multiplying two sign or unsign numbers in decimal as well as binary numbers then we can perform multiplication of decimal numbers easily but how does the binary...
friends.... can u provide me a seminar topics with ppt and report as early as possible
hi, i am rina and glad to hav an account in ce because of my dear friend shailaja. i am studying in kelkar college doing bscit, very interestingly.hope to hav...