Building Something Where People Can Kill Time

I've been asked a question many times, "Facebook, Orkut have millions of users. How are you planning to compete with them?". CE isn't in competition with social networking sites. We are on totally different track and we're far from being a social network. I admit that we've few useful social networking features but that's just a small  part of CE. The focus we have is on exchange of innovative ideas, knowledge sharing and helping each other.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Startup & Killing Time

However, I'd have a good advise for those who are planning to start something on their own. Build something where people can kill their time. Ever wondered why sites like Facebook, Orkut or Twitter are highly successful? Not because they are extremely useful, but because they provide people with a place where they can just kill time and relax. I'm still to figure out the practical use of Twitter and also Facebook & Orkut for that matter apart from getting in touch with friends. No wonder Facebook became #1 accessed website in the USA leaving Google search engine at #2.

Take YouTube as an example. Yes, YouTube can be a very useful and informative tool for education - but what do people use YouTube for? I bet most of the videos watched are 'fun' videos which are not useful in any sense. No wonder every minute YouTube gets about 26 hours of Video uploaded to it.

Wannabe entrepreneurs should explore the fields which give people a place to pass their time - and I bet, you'll have your own successful startup.

Think about it!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The whole world is silently talking about it. With people like Kevin Rose (Digg's Co-Founder) & Adam D'Angelo (Facebook's former CTO) confirming the rumor to some extent; it's highly possible...
An entrepreneurs' journey is about using the resources and multiplying them to get the great results. It is important to save and deploy cash in the best ways possible. I...
NPTEL is an acronym for National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning which is an initiative by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (i.e. IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and...
Google has released a new version of YouTube for HTML5 compatible mobile browsers. If you have a phone that has HTML5 supporting browser, you should check out m.youtube.com. The new...
I confess, I am a Firefox fanboy. I am extremely biased towards Firefox and have been steadfastly sticking to that browser since 2002. Despite all the commotion around Chrome and...