Building a model helicopter

Hello everyone.

I want to build an aircraft that can hover in one place and move in different directions but I am not talking about the VSTOL in some planes that are being used.
This one's more like a helicopter. Just imagine a steel cage of the size of shoe box with a rotor in the centre embeded into it. Yes, the air passes thru the body. So I want some solutions to counter the spin produced by the main rotor and some means to achieve good speeds to provide good lift with very less weight.
If you could provide me some theory for this they would be really helpful.

Thank you.

Replies

• pillai
    pillai
    Please go to Other Engg. Trades in our Forum & check out 'new type of aircraft' ,Jonathan Ainsley.All the best!
  • ajay99
    ajay99
    i have also same idea can u help me
  • pillai
    pillai
    I can try.What do you have in mind?Pillai
  • alibutt955
    alibutt955
    hi mechanic88

u can counter the spin prodoce by main rotor by using 2 rotor one in clockwise direction and othe in counter clock wise

i think u have the complete understanding of a heli principle

it is differet from an aero plane as in this case we need the same aerofoil for lift and thurst; whre as in case of plane thusrt is produced by turbines or jet and for lift aerofoil is used. i hope u have understood

i dont know about your current status u r a student? or professional?

but producing a flying/hovering object and balacing neeeds a good team and months of work

its a difficult one
  • gohm
    gohm
    there you go mechanic88, the twin rotor is a good alternative to the boom rotor. If you want to get super technical you can also delve into vector trust in the tail.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You can get those UFO type toys these days 😛 They are quite cool, but highly unstable in wind. Its a good starting point for analysis though.

Of course, getting a RC heli doesnt hurt either 😉
  • gohm
    gohm
    tail rotor, fenestron, twin coaxial, twin non-coaxial and notar

You can also negate the effects by not having them created in the first place by building a tip jet helicopter. The reason helicopters have torque effect and need a yaw stabilzing device is because the motor is within the fuselage. Tip jets have the motor on the rotor.
  • ask4selvakumar
    ask4selvakumar
    Fenestron, Notar ? I think the person here is referring to some piece of aircraft , not the full sized prototype. The person has in his mind a cage like structure through which the air would rush through. This somehow sounds like primitive of helicopter - the one created by sikorsky. Having a complicated fenestron tail boom on a model aircraft would not be the smartest thing to do. Other challeges the person would have to face is the drag caused by the air rushing down on the strucutre itself.With your questioning attitude i guess you are a mechanical engineer and have a basic idea about Helicopters. Tandem rotors is a good idea for a model aircraft as suggested by the first answerer, but you will face some complications.
    The best idea is to have two rotors rotating in opposite directions at the extreme ends at the tip of the wings of the structure thereby counteracting the torque created by one. But remember one thing you are re-inventing the wheel [Something already done] Good Luck

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey sry for the commotion well madeup a logo hope ya might like it ... tell me culdnt do posting in that section comments wellcomed 😛
What are the contents of .BGI files of C++. How can i read these files? Solution is required Urgently.
Let me make it simple. Need a laptop. Not sure whether should i go for AMD or Intel? Suggestion?
I was trying to solve this problem but got stuck.the problem goes like I have a string of 0's and ones which is to be inputted by the user .....
what is the principal for vacuume pump?