Building A Friend Inviter Feature For CrazyEngineers

CEans,

It's time to take CE forward and as many of you have suggested over a period of time, that we can have a feature to invite your friends. Building this feature will require some hardcore knowledge of our existing system, PHP, MYSQL, JS knowledge.

I'm looking to build a team of 2-3 CEans who're ready to take up the challenge and deliver fantastic friend inviter which would benefit entire CE Community. Of course, you'd get compensated for your time.

We can build teams that operate remotely, so your current location on Earth does not matter.

Interested CEans can reply here so that we can get started as soon as possible.

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    That would be a cool feature! ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Folks, why not the spread the word?
    This is one interesting project that can be worked upon online collaboratively.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's however a little caution we'll have to take. We're *not* a social networking website. So if our inviter sends email to all contacts from our address book; then it would simply be called as spamming. Instead, we should develop it in such a way that it will let us choose who we want to invite, along with a personal message.

If we get master coders, the inviter shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks to get ready.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No one taking up the challenge? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    We're *not* a social networking website.
    Yeah, very glad there is no 'add a friend' feature to CE. ๐Ÿ˜

The_Big_K
    No one taking up the challenge? ๐Ÿ˜จ
    Don't know PHP coding.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've a 'follow' feature that makes sense. It allows every engineer to follow another engineer and build followers. The invite feature will enable every engineer 'invite' their fellow engineers to the site so that we can build a powerhouse of ideas & some real-world projects.

My focus for the next two-three months is going to be expanding CE beyond discussions.

If no one's taking this up, I think we'll have to find external coders.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Yes, I have used the 'follow' feature. ๐Ÿ˜›

Good Luck with the CE expansion. ๐Ÿ‘
    Looking forward to it! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Love king
    Love king
    may i help you mr.the_big_k.................
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Love king
    may i help you mr.the_big_k.................
    Great! Let's get in touch via email. Drop me an email with links to your existing work & resume on admin [at] crazyengineers [dot] com.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:

I did a study of how the current invite systems work. I want to know would you want to invite your friends by -

1. Entering their email address & sending a personal message to them OR
    2. Fetching your contacts (in a secure way, of course) and then selecting who you want to send invite to.
    I'd really appreciate your quick feedback.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Update:

I did a study of how the current invite systems work. I want to know would you want to invite your friends by -

1. Entering their email address & sending a personal message to them OR
    2. Fetching your contacts (in a secure way, of course) and then selecting who you want to send invite to.
    I'd really appreciate your quick feedback.

2nd option with and/or without PM.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    2nd option with and/or without PM.
    Thanks!

What about other CEans? Would you appreciate this feature?
  • Love king
    Love king
    ya i also choose second option it's best way to invite friend .
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I like the 2nd option too. There should be a way of fetching contacts separately from Gmail, Yahoo, Twitter Followers, Facebook friends etc.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I like second option but also want to give some suggestions like in my address book there are some bot-contacts so i don't want to send them invitation.

is is possible that first it fetch all the contacts then when you press 'a' it will display all the contacts starting from 'a' and from that we can choose the contacts.
  • Love king
    Love king
    ya it's possible. you have seen in facebook there is select friend you want to add the same, way we can use.
  • lal
    lal
    Supports the second option. And I prefer an option to add a PM there.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, it makes sense to first display a list of contacts and then allow user to select the ones they want to invite. I didn't get the PM feature being talked here. What exactly we'd want to do?
  • lal
    lal
    By PM, I meant writing something in my own words to the friend I am sending the invitation to.

Typical invitation e-mails doesnt contain something like that, right? They just say 'your friend has invited you to join something' or the likes. It would be more realistic and promising if I invite a friend in my own words.

The invitation mail maybe of a common format along with an option to add a description about CE in our own words.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, got it. Personal message looks good. I thought 'private message' aka 'conversations' we've. Personal message to users we're inviting is a must. ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you for your suggestion.
  • lal
    lal
    Oops.. I should have mentioned it more clearly ๐Ÿ˜
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I would like to work on this project, but i am already having lot of deadlines

Please let me know if i can be of any help ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    goyal420
    I would like to work on this project, but i am already having lot of deadlines

Please let me know if i can be of any help ๐Ÿ˜€
    Where have you been? Well, we need someone who can commit to the project. But you can surely chip in whenever we need help. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    The_Big_K
    Where have you been? Well, we need someone who can commit to the project. But you can surely chip in whenever we need help. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I am damn busy with my projects,

BTW you want this tool as a standalone application or integrated with ce

On which software ce is currently based on?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The application will be tightly integrated with CE. The software is based on Xenforo.
  • thunder9x
    thunder9x
    Hello CEians. This might be useful tool. #-Link-Snipped-#
    It has also friend inviter feature.
    I got credit for searching this tool. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    thunder9x
    Hello CEians. This might be useful tool. #-Link-Snipped-#
    We want to integrate it with CE, Is is Possible?
  • thunder9x
    thunder9x
    I think there is already a friend inviter add-on for this. Check here: [paid add-on] Ragtek Invite System | XenForo community
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The invite system is already there, but it requires users to add email address manually. I think it's better if we fetch contacts and then ask members to select people they wish to invite.

Openinviter current does not have integration with XF.
  • thunder9x
    thunder9x
    It would be better if all CEans go here (#-Link-Snipped-#) and fill just one line form and request OPENINVITER for Xenforo.
    It is just like voting. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not develop one on our own?
  • thunder9x
    thunder9x
    I'd like both. Definitely, we'll be building our own but also let Openinviter also make their own. We'll have more choices. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    is this project running?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to know what makes linux based os different from windows ...also i will be studying unix next semester...so i wanted to knw whats the difference between unix and...
Flashmobs seem to be getting quite a lot of popularity everywhere around the world. A group of people appears out of nowhere and performs a dance act and then vanish...
Nu Tech 2012 is a technical fest organized by Nirma University, Institute of Technology. This fest aims to Innovate.Inspire.Initiate. The fest conducts various programs that would include lot of innovation....
A new app called QWiPS is available for download at Apple iTunes Store. The speciality is that you can add audio clips to your posts. You can have your say...
Institute of Technical Education and Research, Bhubaneshwar presents Chakravyuh 2011 as its technical fest. The event spans for four days comprising of various technical events and exhibitions. Events: Robotics Presentations...