Building a better cooking stove to eliminate hand carried fuel

The act of searching, purchasing and tending to a wood and dung based cook
stove needs to be the thing of the past. Who can give insight to me on the
reality of things on the ground, out in the world as you see it. I need this feed back
for my main project A Spring Wound Battery. Thank you very much.
Students answers are my main interest.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The reality is that in the area of Tamilnadu ( a Southern State of India) one in six among the poorer people is orthopedically handicapped because of falls sustained when climbing trees with dried branches hunting for wood for fuel. Something like 9 million women die yearly from carbon monoxide poisoning in one room huts from country stoves burning poorly dried wood. Many children of these also suffer damage.

You should see the works of Prof.Kirk Smith, Professor of Global Environmental Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkley and Tyler Laureate 2012 on indoor pollution.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

However, the energy levels have to be considered. An adult human consuming 2400 kcals nutrition can at best put out 100 watts. Basal Metabolic Rate will consume some of this for survival. Usable output cannot be much above 60 to 70 watts. Even this is not sustainable for more than an hour or so by most ordinary people, certainly by poorly fed women in the Third World. Even if all of this can be recovered as electric power no useful cooking is possible.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    A.V.Ramani
    The reality is that in the area of Tamilnadu ( a Southern State of India) one in six among the poorer people is orthopedically handicapped because of falls sustained when climbing trees with dried branches hunting for wood for fuel. Something like 9 million women die yearly from carbon monoxide poisoning in one room huts from country stoves burning poorly dried wood. Many children of these also suffer damage.

You should see the works of Prof.Kirk Smith, Professor of Global Environmental Health, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkley and Tyler Laureate 2012 on indoor pollution.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

However, the energy levels have to be considered. An adult human consuming 2400 kcals nutrition can at best put out 100 watts. Basal Metabolic Rate will consume some of this for survival. Usable output cannot be much above 60 to 70 watts. Even this is not sustainable for more than an hour or so by most ordinary people, certainly by poorly fed women in the Third World. Even if all of this can be recovered as electric power no useful cooking is possible.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    That is good information. But my intention is not to use human power to recharge the unit. You see I know the the electrical distribution and accountability of it's usage is not accurately done, over charging many unfairly. So my intent is to be able to have the unit recharged at a government, or NGO station. Hopefully a subsidized recharging stations so that cheap electrical power is obtainable to those that really need it. Obviously this is not for every person and application. But of the 500 million people in that position world wide ei. Africa, India, Asia, if I touch one percent I am a success. Is a cheap electric stove top affordable to them? I have been pursuing this for a while and it seems as though the eliete write all these papers on things but don't do anything about it. I am building it now with out their help. But i need yours to see reality. Thanks
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    A V My Indian customers tell me of their villages where everyone drinks from a town well. Why can't their be a wind turbine that can be utilized to recharge the spring wound battery either mechanically or electrically. He tells me that the men don't work hard. So I figure they can carry the batteries to and from the elderlies homes as a curtsey. I remember the first time the sewerage backed up in the restaurant and I was on my hands and knees vacuuming it up and the owners were aghast. Now they are my closest friends and as a matter of fact I am going to dinner tomorrow night with Prasad.

AV You are a very smart man and I value your input. Please keep in touch. I need you.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    AV You are a very smart man and I value your input. Please keep in touch. I need you.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Induction heating is the best option. It is nearly 95% efficient. Almost all low end SS cookware sold in India is induction compatible. TTK Prestige Limited in India is working on a no-frills, low cost, low power (<1000W) induction cooker just for this application.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Excellent that's what I want to hear. Thank you I am trying to contact the last engineer I need to make this happen. well In the US. I need you to find me a guru on clock escapements.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Art Fenerty of Gearotic Motion on You tube. Is the man I am trying to reach but I am on deaf ears. So who can you find to build the escapement

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Everyone, I was searching on the topic 'future scope for selenium' and it led me here..I found it a good and well - organized place to learn new things...
I would like to take this moment to declare what it is that I do. I am an experimental refrigeration design application engineer. I own a company that screws around...
Did you know that a car AC compressors are a 2 ton refrigeration unit not an AC unit. Not at all. And they are not recycled but crushed in the...
I have 40 yrs of knowledge I am sorry to seem explosive but I love teaching. I have seen it all. And I've done it all. Now I want to...
Last month, Microsoft’s Skype received an update that should let its users translate English to Spanish or vice-versa in real-time i.e. when two people are speaking. To make sure that...