Bugs / Misuse in Google Translate

Guys, Go to Google Translate - Set the left side as "Detect Language" and the right side as "Tamil". Now type in, TN - See what comes on the right side! Freaky! Google Folks, please correct that!!! 😀 I have no clue why these folks at Google, don't moderate such stuffs!
I myself experimented with it and sending a screenshot of the same! 😀

[​IMG]

Replies

• Gandalf
    Gandalf
    I think you should help google by reporting it offensive
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, what does that translate to? Can someone tell? I discovered bugs in Indian Government's translation system few months ago. I think the QA at Google needs to work really hard.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Gandalf
    I think you should help google by reporting it offensive
    I have done that Gandalf!

The_Big_K
    Okay, what does that translate to? Can someone tell? I discovered bugs in Indian Government's translation system few months ago. I think the QA at Google needs to work really hard.
    It is supposed to translate from English to Tamil. But in this case, it is translating to the CM's name for the abbreviation of our State! Weren't you able to see the image Biggie?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hmm.. As far as I know, Google translate works based on some sort of crowd sourcing.

i.e., if a human were to go by translating a document, he/she needs to know both the languages - viz., the word and sentence structures, grammatical constructions et all in both the languages. Porting the same system to a computer, ideally, for translating from one language to another, we should actually have a large database with all words and grammatical patterns of language mapped to those of the other.

Since such a database is practically impossible, I think Google uses the text indexed by it to do the translation. i.e., whenever there appears a word or sentence to be translated, it searches for the same in its index, and returns the best match, since both the original sentence and its possible translations would have been indexed. I am not clear with the exact mechanism, but somehow, the current trending topics are probably associated with each other in the translation index.

So, it's not really a QA issue, I think. Basically, the translation engine learns. I think, in a few days from now, this error will not be present.

A few days ago, a similar screenshot did the rounds in facebook. In that, the sentence "Don't see idiot movie" was translated from English to Tamil.
    The translation showed something in Tamil, which read "Don't see Vijay movie". Needless to say, Vijay is a Tamil actor, and that was the time
    when a new Vijay movie was released. Try the same now, and it translates correctly.

Hence, if we report the mistakes and suggest better translations, it learns and keeps getting better at it. 😀
    Exactly. But at the same time, people will be adding to the Google's translation database, thereby making it really interactive. It works on the principle of how many same kind of translations for the particular phrase. And, based on the weights, it suggests the top 5. 😀 This is been highly misused!!! 😔
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    silverscorpion
    In that, the sentence "Don't see idiot movie" was translated from English to Tamil.
    The translation showed something in Tamil, which read "Don't see Vijay movie". Needless to say, Vijay is a Tamil actor, and that was the time when a new Vijay movie was released.
    Reminds me of this classic picture.

[​IMG]

A few years ago I started noticing that phrase everywhere: "Do not want". Odd.

But Star Wars Episode Iii: Revenge Of The Sith Leaked Workprint the phrase arose from a bootleg English to Chinese to English translation of Darth Vader saying "Noooooooo!".
    KenJackson
    But Star Wars Episode Iii: Revenge Of The Sith Leaked Workprint the phrase arose from a bootleg English to Chinese to English translation of Darth Vader saying "Noooooooo!".
    Are you by any chance talking about this site? #-Link-Snipped-#
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    Praveen-Kumar
    Are you by any chance talking about this site? #-Link-Snipped-#
    Incredible! A whole website devoted to a single-word sentence in one movie!

But yeah, that sounds like it.
    KenJackson
    Incredible! A whole website devoted to a single-word sentence in one movie!

But yeah, that sounds like it.
    Right! Use it in dire situations!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Data transfer through optic fiber and cables is achieving newer speeds every day. I however believe that the future surely belongs to the wireless. It's apparent that the data transfer...
Engineers opting for masters in sciences; tell us which is your dream University and why? Also tell us which course you wish to enroll in 😀
Sony's come up with a latest development in their sugar-battery project; the engineers were successful creating a paper based battery: https://www.crazyengineers.com/sony-paper-battery-to-allow-better-use-of-toilet-paper-1480/ capable enough of powering a small electric motor. Does...
Bhagavad-gita As Is , is under the threat of being banned in Russian.​There is court hearing early monday morning, so we must all act by sunday.​please sign this petition online....
Verbal is the most difficult section for engineers taking GMAT and one startup is aiming to solve that problem through virtual classrooms. The startup founded in 2006 by Arun Jagannathan...