CrazyEngineers
  • Researchers have devised a bot that uses Brute Force technique to crack the 4 digit pin of smartphones. The bot tries all the possible 4 digit combinations until it unlocks the phone. This bot is going to be presented at Black Hat Conference 2013 which is starting today. The researchers have also started working on extending its capability to cracking other pin controlled systems e.g. ATM.
    Here is the video of the bot in action:

The bot is currently priced at $200. Though some smartphones out there have security systems to completely lock the phone on 'n' number of unsuccessful attempts but Android just disables it for few seconds. But in either way, this is a great piece of innovation.

What do you guys think? Is this the time to strengthen the security systems?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 31, 2013

I don't get it. The robot does nothing special than just come up with all the possible combinations of the 4 digits and then press the appropriate keys on the virtual keyboard. $200 is certainly a very high price to pay.

Plus, the robot can be made totally ineffective with locking the keypad on say 5-10 unsuccessful attempts and then requiring special gestures or (hardware) key presses to make it active again.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Neeraj Sharma

MemberJul 31, 2013

Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it. The robot does nothing special than just come up with all the possible combinations of the 4 digits and then press the appropriate keys on the virtual keyboard. $200 is certainly a very high price to pay.

Plus, the robot can be made totally ineffective with locking the keypad on say 5-10 unsuccessful attempts and then requiring special gestures or (hardware) key presses to make it active again.
    Yes, that is quite a limitation as stated by the developers too. It will be interesting though to wait for its next variant which is expected to work on hardware keys but it is rather worthless with the security systems on as it just uses Brute Force.
    Cancel
  • Anil Jain

MemberJul 31, 2013

Kaustubh Katdare
    I am not a programming geek, still even I can write that piece of code in pretty less time. Why they are charging $200 for the same

-CB
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register