Brute Force Mobile Pin Cracker Bot

Researchers have devised a bot that uses Brute Force technique to crack the 4 digit pin of smartphones. The bot tries all the possible 4 digit combinations until it unlocks the phone. This bot is going to be presented at Black Hat Conference 2013 which is starting today. The researchers have also started working on extending its capability to cracking other pin controlled systems e.g. ATM.
Here is the video of the bot in action:

The bot is currently priced at $200. Though some smartphones out there have security systems to completely lock the phone on 'n' number of unsuccessful attempts but Android just disables it for few seconds. But in either way, this is a great piece of innovation.

What do you guys think? Is this the time to strengthen the security systems?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it. The robot does nothing special than just come up with all the possible combinations of the 4 digits and then press the appropriate keys on the virtual keyboard. $200 is certainly a very high price to pay.

Plus, the robot can be made totally ineffective with locking the keypad on say 5-10 unsuccessful attempts and then requiring special gestures or (hardware) key presses to make it active again.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it. The robot does nothing special than just come up with all the possible combinations of the 4 digits and then press the appropriate keys on the virtual keyboard. $200 is certainly a very high price to pay.

Plus, the robot can be made totally ineffective with locking the keypad on say 5-10 unsuccessful attempts and then requiring special gestures or (hardware) key presses to make it active again.
    Yes, that is quite a limitation as stated by the developers too. It will be interesting though to wait for its next variant which is expected to work on hardware keys but it is rather worthless with the security systems on as it just uses Brute Force.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I am not a programming geek, still even I can write that piece of code in pretty less time. Why they are charging $200 for the same

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Everyone is aware of the introduction of new Android 4.3 OS. I just wanted to know if an update is available for Galaxy series. From what I have gathered from...
Apple is all set to unveil the Retina version of IPad mini later this year as a competition to Google Nexus 7 offering a high resolution display. Apple has planned...
Let's try to understand what are indexes in oracle or any database. Consider a general scenario that we encounter in our daily life.. Suppose I have a book with me...
With too many companies offering mid range smartphones , i am really confused on which smartphone to select or just wait for Nexus 5 or iphone 6 ?
Hey all, I just came across some job notifications for the post of software developer asking for excellent communication skills. Just wanted to know your views on how important is...