Broadband Vs. FTTH - What's The Basic Difference?

I've referred to the wikipedia article here: Fiber To The X but it didn't make much sense. I'm looking to understand the basic difference between the traditional phone-line connected broadband vs the FTTH service. Someone please enlighten.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    ok...
    the access layer in FFTH would be optical. internal fibre -> Optical network terminsation -> local fibre -->local distribution hub --> WAN
    where as in copper
    internal copper cable -> local exchange -->WAN
    Electrical signals are affected by Electrical and managetic feilds and have noise compoent as well, where as optical signals remain unaffected by these.

Are you looking for greater speeds as such?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are you sure that FTTH involves no copper (apparant from the name 'Fiber to the home')? I've heard that the basic medium of signal transfer is going to be copper for at least foreseeable future.

I'm all fascinated by the super high speeds FTTH is capable of. I even talked to folks at BSNL to see whether FTTH service is in my area. They said it's going to involve laying cables from the nearest 'point' (which didn't make any sense to me). So curious to know what exactly is the difference.

So as I understand, no copper wires are involved; right?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    As far as I know, yes, no copper. But I will have to check on the singalling thing you mentioned.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

World's leading GPU maker NVIDIA has announced the availability of GeForce GTX 690 Dual Core graphics card. The card will be launched on May 3rd and wider availability is expected...
there are lots of buzz going around this Tv program.Program is going to start next week I like that it will be aired on DD1 (National Tv) also. Do you...
Myself Mita Landge, the student of ComputerEngineering @ PCCOE,Pune. My keen interest in Innovations, Technological Updates, Research, and Engineering, got me to join CE. My Fav. field of interest is...
Oracle is suing Google for $1bn damages for allegedly infringing its copyright in the Java programming of the Android mobile operating system (OS). Oracle acquired the rights to Java when...