Braking System Design help wanted...

Hi folks,
we are currently trying to design a braking system, but are a bit stuck for ideas. It has to be capable of the following (see image) and it can't use pneumatic, electric or hydraulic: -

[​IMG]

The 10kg load has to be raised up 150mm, held for an indetermined time and then lowered down again.

Our best idea so far is essentially a conical brake: -

[​IMG]

Does anyone else have any other/better suggestions?

(Also, the size of the shafts involved is roughly 10mm dia.)

Replies

• zorif
    zorif
    Re: Design help wanted...

how abt counter weight.

or a simple gear box will do the job.go for some good reduction ration.the weight to be held will be taken care by the gear box output shaft.

or u will get ready electrical brake in market.simply use them.(might cost between 800-1000 bucks)
  • zorif
    zorif

BTW,iam quite impressed with the design.
    and what are u suing for the sliding mechanism.guide ways??
    and what abt the driving mechanism.ball screw or just lead screw.
  • getnoticed24
    getnoticed24

hi...

u can end this design by switching to a chain-pulley transmission system.

another suggestion is to use a well-greased screw jack arrangement....

u are gonna use a conical brake, right....
    in that case ,if u leave the handle ,the load goes back to the original position....

keep posting info about this model
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly

Arrangement in model diagram looks ok but confirm the following.

1) Middle rod on which load slides will have square threads and slider fitted with nut.
    2) Incease the dia. of handle sprocket to reduce the effort.

In short it becomes screw jack.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji

I have an another idea instead of using handle why can't you use and electro magnet in both sides to lift and pull down loads...
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly

I do not understand how electro magnet will work here. Please explain.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji

Just when we supply power those magnets try to attract Iron Particles mates..
    So heavy magnetization [to produce heavy magnetic field] may help in lifting up mate...
  • gohm
    gohm
    In the notes it states they cannot use electricity.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Sorry mate ..
    I didn't saw that...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

UK engineering company, Semmco, has announced that it is to supply the new HEAD 15 Cell Snatch Rescue Equipment (CSRE) to the UK and Irish Prison services. Semmco's unique HEAD...
We've already heard plenty of talk that Acer would be rolling out one or more Android phones this year, but it looks like the company's head of mobile phone products,...
hi guys i am doing B.s.marine engineering from tolani maritime institute and i want to know the life of the ship engineers are this kind of job are very painful...
Hello. i'm working on a project of eye detection with matlab and i need to mark a circle on live time video. how can i draw a circle or point...
Jumbles on newspapers is something very old and classic. I thought may be we can have our own jumble, but in different style. example: A L P T N now...