[Brain Teaser] Infinite Grid of 1 Ohm Resistors

On an infinite grid of ideal one ohm resistors, what is the equivalent resistance across the two given points?

[โ€‹IMG]

A clearer image:

[โ€‹IMG]

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I guess 2R. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I think it will be R only.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hmm. I will wait for about 2 more days before I try to solve it myself or post the answer (from another source).
  • everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    I am guessing that it will be approaching zero but never reaching it because all the resistors in parallel will continuously reduce the resistance lower and lower and lower.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Ishutopre, godfather give your proofs in a bit more detail.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Is the first image from xkcd? I remember something like this in one of the cartoons there.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, in the second diagram, are the nodes across which you want the effective resistance same as in first pic?
    I'm working on it. Will post my answer later!!
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    It would be sqrt(R)
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Yes silver the first one is from xkcd, thats where I got the question from. It was from Physicist Sniping. I will look for the comic and post it here. And Praveen, please provide proof and calculations with your answer. We need a discussion too ๐Ÿ˜€
    xheavenlyx
    Yes silver the first one is from xkcd, thats where I got the question from. It was from Physicist Sniping. I will look for the comic and post it here. And Praveen, please provide proof and calculations with your answer. We need a discussion too ๐Ÿ˜€
    Er... Its a wild guess of resistance across a square is the square root of the resistance... Am I right? Got this logic from my physics book of 10th std... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    xkcd: Nerd Sniping - one of the best geek comic strip I've come across in the recent times. Check it out and share your comment below.

[โ€‹IMG]
    You mean to say that guy is dead??? Lorry foooom???
  • maraitamilan
    maraitamilan
    1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ....... + 1/Rn here n tends to infinity so the resistance across the network may be infinite am i right???????? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Yea if you kill a physicist you get 2 points, one mathematician 3 points. Try it at your local university.

Thanks maraitamilan, I will keep your answer in mind.
    xheavenlyx
    Yea if you kill a physicist you get 2 points, one mathematician 3 points. Try it at your local university.

Thanks maraitamilan, I will keep your answer in mind.
    Adoppaavingala (oh my god fellas), this is too much... But yeah, funny too! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • amar.amar
    amar.amar
    is it 3R....
  • amar.amar
    amar.amar
    dis might b wrong yaar as ur calculating between two points ther must b a resistance value,,,wel if this is right it should b 0 since u calculated 1/R(total)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys i have as a final year project to design and build a mic preamp. i choosed to use solid state topology for my project with the use of...
Wishing CEan Narayana Murthy a very happy & prosperous birthday from CE Community ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Lecture Series on Computational Methods in Design and Manufacturing by Dr. R. Krishnakumar, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras. [video=youtube;aTYkacwOZl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTYkacwOZl0[/video]
Do not judge anything prior before reading this. But yes only give your correct opinion with cool and calm mind. It may also happen that the lecturer is trapped in...
Four Engineers and a Broken Car There are four engineers travelling in a car; a mechanical engineer, a chemical engineer, an electrical engineer and a computer engineer. The car breaks...