CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@xheavenlyx • 09 May, 2011
On an infinite grid of ideal one ohm resistors, what is the equivalent resistance across the two given points?

[​IMG]

A clearer image:

[​IMG]
@ISHAN TOPRE • 09 May, 2011 I guess 2R. 😀
@Harshad Italiya • 10 May, 2011 I think it will be R only.
@xheavenlyx • 10 May, 2011 Hmm. I will wait for about 2 more days before I try to solve it myself or post the answer (from another source).
@everett.pattison • 10 May, 2011 I am guessing that it will be approaching zero but never reaching it because all the resistors in parallel will continuously reduce the resistance lower and lower and lower.
@xheavenlyx • 10 May, 2011 Ishutopre, godfather give your proofs in a bit more detail.
@silverscorpion • 10 May, 2011 Is the first image from xkcd? I remember something like this in one of the cartoons there.. 😀

Anyway, in the second diagram, are the nodes across which you want the effective resistance same as in first pic?
I'm working on it. Will post my answer later!!
@PraveenKumar Purushothaman • 11 May, 2011 It would be sqrt(R)
@xheavenlyx • 11 May, 2011 Yes silver the first one is from xkcd, thats where I got the question from. It was from Physicist Sniping. I will look for the comic and post it here. And Praveen, please provide proof and calculations with your answer. We need a discussion too 😀
@PraveenKumar Purushothaman • 11 May, 2011
xheavenlyx
Yes silver the first one is from xkcd, thats where I got the question from. It was from Physicist Sniping. I will look for the comic and post it here. And Praveen, please provide proof and calculations with your answer. We need a discussion too 😀
Er... Its a wild guess of resistance across a square is the square root of the resistance... Am I right? Got this logic from my physics book of 10th std... 😛
@xheavenlyx • 11 May, 2011 xkcd: Nerd Sniping - one of the best geek comic strip I've come across in the recent times. Check it out and share your comment below.

[​IMG]
@PraveenKumar Purushothaman • 11 May, 2011 You mean to say that guy is dead??? Lorry foooom???
@maraitamilan • 11 May, 2011 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ....... + 1/Rn here n tends to infinity so the resistance across the network may be infinite am i right???????? 😀
@xheavenlyx • 11 May, 2011 Yea if you kill a physicist you get 2 points, one mathematician 3 points. Try it at your local university.

Thanks maraitamilan, I will keep your answer in mind.
@PraveenKumar Purushothaman • 11 May, 2011
xheavenlyx
Yea if you kill a physicist you get 2 points, one mathematician 3 points. Try it at your local university.

Thanks maraitamilan, I will keep your answer in mind.
Adoppaavingala (oh my god fellas), this is too much... But yeah, funny too! 😀
@amar.amar • 13 May, 2011 is it 3R....
@amar.amar • 13 May, 2011 dis might b wrong yaar as ur calculating between two points ther must b a resistance value,,,wel if this is right it should b 0 since u calculated 1/R(total)
1.8k views

Related Posts

@Aniket Shende · Oct 27, 2015

How important it is for mechanical engineer that he/she should know foreign language?
2.8k views

@Ankita Katdare · May 17, 2014

Nokia India has come up with a new low-budget smartphone with Nokia 225 priced at Rs. 3199. The phone weighs 99.8 g and has a 2.8 inch screen with QVGA...
1.7k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jun 30, 2014

Asus, the Taiwanese-American multinational, is going to launch the Asus Zenfone 5 smartphone in India in July 2014, as it has promised. The company had unveiled this smartphone in China...
2.2k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 4, 2008

The series is - 12,12,18,45,180,1170,? What's the next number in above series?
5.4k views

@kanwar singh · Aug 31, 2012

Thoughtworks is visiting our campus and I'm looking for aptitude papers and programming questions. It'd be nice if someone can provide me with a sample test papers for their first...
10.8k views