Boundary Element Method for 2 Layer Heat conduction

Hi there,

I'm trying to solve this heat conduction problem using boundary element methods. The problem involves a circle that is cut into half, with each having its own thermal conductivity (k). I'm required to determine the temperature field for both these halfs so that i can find the temperatures at any given point within the region.

I managed to do the one for a homogeneous material but faced problems with this case. There was this eqn i saw from an article that involved the combination of regions :

HU = GQ

I understand the approach would be to solve one half of the circle at a time. But i don't understand how to include the boundary conditions at the interface btwn both the halves. And to solve the matrices. Help anyone?

Replies

• csanthosh1989
    csanthosh1989
    Don't worry refer the correct formulas in heat & mass transfer data book
  • bemsoc
    bemsoc
    Depends on the interface. If the solids are perfectly bonded on the interface, that is, "an ideal (perfect) interface" the two conditions to impose on the interface are:

(a) "T in R1"="T in R2" at points on interface
    (b) "heat flux of T in R1 across interface"
    ="heat flux of T in R2 across interface"

Notes: "T in R1" means "temperature in solid 1"
    In (b), the fluxes on RHS and LHS are calculated
    using unit normal vector pointing in the same direction.

You can also have imperfect interfaces in which case (a) and (b) have to be modified appropriately.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am working as system admin in unix, solaris, network for 1.5 years and also have entry knowledge of veritas and sun volume manager and dont have much kernel...
Article: At the frontiers of our civilization Category: The problems I would like to solve as an engineer In this article I would try to shed light on use Computers...
PROBLEMS I WOULD SOLVE AS AN ENGINEER Wastage control and recycling – household waste I would create a garbage management system. It might sound funny, but I am serious Utilisation...
CEans, "Thinking big" is a passé now. You have to think mega. And when it comes to thinking mega, no body does like Mr. Baker! Partner in charge of Structural...