Boot-repair in ubuntu, how does it fix booting?

I installed Windows 7 and then installed Ubuntu 12.04, every time computer was booting in windows 7. Then installed Ubuntu first and then Windows 7 same problem again.This problem never occurred in Windows 8.
Googled and found boot-repair:#-Link-Snipped-#

But I didn't get how it works, it fixed the problem for me, found Ubuntu loader, Ubuntu recovery mode, Windows 7 loader twice, removed one Windows 7 loader later from live usb.
But how did boot-repair fix the booting problem.
What is Grub loader why does it needs to be repaired or it gets broken?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Grub bootloader is an open source boot loader. It facilitates switching between two OS without similar kernel or same kernel. Lets say two operating system. When you install windows, you don't need GRUB. Linux preferably is used with GRUB since your other OS, Windows has a different kernel. And naturally, if it was not installed properly in the first place, It will hamper switching between different operating system. So you reinstall it and as you say, it is working fine now.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Nayan Goenka
    Grub bootloader is an open source boot loader. It facilitates switching between two OS without similar kernel or same kernel. Lets say two operating system. When you install windows, you don't need GRUB. Linux preferably is used with GRUB since your other OS, Windows has a different kernel. And naturally, if it was not installed properly in the first place, It will hamper switching between different operating system. So you reinstall it and as you say, it is working fine now.
    Ok thanks, but what may the reason behind ubuntu working properly with windows 8, this problem faced by me only in windows 7 each time.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    windows 8 's bootloader is enhanced version unlike the one which was in windows 7. Windows 7 bootloader did not support cross kernel OS. Whereas in windows 8, that feature is added. You can easily load any operating system alongside windows 8 using its default bootloader.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Nayan Goenka
    windows 8 's bootloader is enhanced version unlike the one which was in windows 7. Windows 7 bootloader did not support cross kernel OS. Whereas in windows 8, that feature is added. You can easily load any operating system alongside windows 8 using its default bootloader.
    Thanks
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I also got this problem with dual boot.
    You need to login into windows 7 and use EasyBCD and manually add linux boot.

#-Link-Snipped-#

This should solve your problem.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    ianoop
    I also got this problem with dual boot.
    You need to login into windows 7 and use EasyBCD and manually add linux boot.

#-Link-Snipped-#

This should solve your problem.
    Thanks ianoop, but I had this utility, but I wanted some other solution and get to know what's the problem behind this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hyundai Motor India Limited, the company that was recently in news for the launch of Hyundai Grand i10 is back at headlines to celebrate its 15th anniversary. With the launch...
Speedy transit has never got this crazier before and the role of HYPERLOOP is just to ensure a much crazier transit mode other than flying and driving This $ 6Billion...
Ever wondered what else can be done with electronics well here is one such crazy dit Here we are having a simple skin which has the potential to convert pressure...
5g Beam Scheme: Steerable millimetre-wave beams could enable multi-gigabit mobile connections.Phones at the edge of a 4G cell [blue] could use the beams to route signals around obstacles. Because the...
This is one professional way to get intimate with a lion and this tanker of a robot is really a marvel when comes to taking a really close snap of...