Boolean Algebra problems

1) If z=x*y then z*x is?
Options-
1)x
2)0
3)y
4)1

2) How many functions are possible with 'n' binary variables?

3) How many functions are possible with 2 Boolean variables?

Don't give only answers.I need explanations too.

Replies

• nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    1)If z=x*y then z*x is? if * is EX-OR operation then answer is y.because when both the symbols are same then it will give 0.
    0 EX-OR with Y gives y.(EX-OR follows associative law so we can change the order of input)
    2)with n variables if we construct a truth table then it will contain 2^n entries(rows).In a function that entry may be include or may not be include(we have 2 possibilities)total no.of functions possible with n variables is 2^2^n.
    3) if we apply n=2 in the above formula you will get answer 16.
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    nareshkumar6539
    1)If z=x*y then z*x is? if * is EX-OR operation then answer is y.because when both the symbols are same then it will give 0.
    0 EX-OR with Y gives y.(EX-OR follows associative law so we can change the order of input)
    But how you considered x=0? Is it an assumption? Then what if I take y=0?
    By the way I like the answer of second question.thanks.
  • nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    I am not assuming x=0. EX-OR follows the associate law means even if we change the order of operation result will be never change that i am using there
    z=x*y then z*x=?
    so i replaced z value in the euation
    x*y*x=>(x*x)*y[i apllied associate law ]
    EX-OR gives output 1 when both inputs are same ,it gives output 0 when both inputs are same x*x so it will give as output 0
    0*y the output of this expression depends on y because
    y=0 output is0
    y=0 output is1

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There's a sudden rise of rumors about the announcement of next Playstation in 2012. Killzone, one of the most popular games on PS platform is said to be under development...
The structure of CPU for a typical Von Neumann Machine is as follows - [Image Courtesy - Donovan Book] The structure above consists of - 1. Instruction Interpreter 2. Location...
US scientists stake a claim for the world's lightest material Read more: US scientists stake a claim for the world's lightest material | News | The Engineer ​
Currently I am working on superconducting magnetic energy storage system (SMES) modelling. If any one of u have work on it plz let me know. I will be very thankful...
Hi, I am a software professional with an experience of 7 years and I need to give the GRE because I am applying for a course at IIM. I need...