Books VS internet - which is the better way to learn?

I guess subject of this thread is more than enough to explain what i am talking about here

Guys what do you think which is best way to learn books or internet?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Neither, in my opinion.
    Learning is going from a state of knowing less to a state of knowing more. It is all about abstracting the general from the particular and the reverse. It is about forming associations between apparently unrelated things.
    Rote learning, like the multiplication table, the grammar of language or vocabulary are necessary but not sufficient adjuncts to learning. Regurgitating what the teacher taught in class and getting a good grade is not learning. Knowing that the second law is saying that hills will become flat and valleys will get filled till all is a featureless uniformity is learning.
    Books, teachers, internet and peers are but tools. One learns with ones mind. By cogitating on the inputs and falling down and getting up.
    Ultimately you are the boss.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Books and Internet are just the mediums. The best learning comes when there's a burning desire to learn something and willingness to go that extra mile to gain knowledge.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    When you wrote 'books vs internet', the first thing that struck my mind was books vs ebooks. So, changed the title.

I think internet is a good medium because of the limitless possibilities in which we can explore it to learn something, but at the same time since it is a 'world-wide-web' it is easy to get lost and distracted when a person is online. we start hopping from one site to another, thinking that we are browsing and later realize that we wasted 2-3 hours for something that could be learnt in a few minutes by flipping a few pages of the book.
    Mr. Einstein learnt a lot just by thinking. He used only a pen and paper on his desk to scribble his thoughts.
    So, yes like Biggie says, when there's a burning desire, any medium is fine.
  • aachus
    aachus
    i think internet is more good.because when when it comes to books if we didnt understand some topics specified in book we should search for that particular book .which explains about that topic and again ..but in internet 'one click' is enough to study many things ..it save time..(which is very necessary)..
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    Its easy and cheap to find information on the internet. But its more comfortable to read a book. We can learn easily if we are comfortable.
  • AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    Generally when it comes to question of money to buy books i thinks its internet , one and only .
  • chithrachennai
    chithrachennai
    see all you have to speak is your comfort and compatibility ...i feel books are very comfortable..biggest problem with internet is straining of eyes..you tend to sleep soon..but in case of books this happens but comparingly less % . FYI we have a very big library at CHENNAI ..its in kotturpuram near anna university / birla planetarium..its not a library its an ocean 😀 please goto this place its cost free its infrastructure is too good = a software company !
  • Reya
    Reya
    The_Big_K
    Books and Internet are just the mediums. The best learning comes when there's a burning desire to learn something and willingness to go that extra mile to gain knowledge.
    I second Biggie. But still, I think Internet is the best way to learn something.For example, assume that you don't understand a particular topic while reading a book. You need to refer some other book for a detailed and clear explanation. What if you don't have that book with you? You search the topic in internet. Just by few clicks, you get the answer in internet. You've lot of resources in internet which explain you the concept clearly and lucidly.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    It all depends on what you want to learn and why.
  • AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    yes ...
    conclusion is : its upto your choice of preference
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    Paper for sure. Especially for basic (initial) learning.
  • Saijayadeep
    Saijayadeep
    all it depends on the topic which we are learning,our comfort and the availability of the matter and moreover our mood and interest to learn.....i prefer book to e-book,but ultimately what we learned is that matters!!!
  • DeepsV
    DeepsV
    AbraKaDabra
    When you wrote 'books vs internet', the first thing that struck my mind was books vs ebooks. So, changed the title.

I think internet is a good medium because of the limitless possibilities in which we can explore it to learn something, but at the same time since it is a 'world-wide-web' it is easy to get lost and distracted when a person is online. we start hopping from one site to another, thinking that we are browsing and later realize that we wasted 2-3 hours for something that could be learnt in a few minutes by flipping a few pages of the book.
    Mr. Einstein learnt a lot just by thinking. He used only a pen and paper on his desk to scribble his thoughts.
    So, yes like Biggie says, when there's a burning desire, any medium is fine.
    Me too on first look at the heading thought that it is referring to "whether reading through book is good or ebook is good".Anyways coming to the point i am totally in support of your answer that reading through book is much better than goggling in internet. Reading through books is the age long practice. Internet has been available to common people just few years back. Internet is indeed a very useful tool as we get lot of information in one click, but the information here are scattered between lot of unwanted texts which we do not require.We then have to extract the useful information through it, which is a time consuming process. Not only it is time consuming but also mind distracting. Instead of learning what we intended our attention gets shifted to useless things.Moreover spending much time in front of computer is not good for eyes.So i strongly support 'book' as the best source of gaining knowledge..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am an engineering student, doing B-Tech in Electronics and communication engineering from National Institute of Technology, Durgapur. Robotics is my special area of interest. Painting, Photography, Driving are among...
Now I'm using windows 8 consumer preview, and It having some issues while working with many plugins for different platforms... while instlling VS10 chart pluginn with VS08, Its raising that...
What is the role of Video Analyst Job? Any idea? I am an IT engineer from Kolkata, India and I want to know its job prospects and what skills will...
-: Increase Broadband Speed Using Simple Tweak :-​ A Simple Tweak (XP Pro only) which will increase your Broadband Speed. Make sure you Log on as Administrator, not as a...
Designing of a multi-lingual website can be a great idea. Abstract: The idea would be to create a website that supports various languages in UTF-8 format. It can be built...