BMW i3 And i8 Concept Eco-Friendly Cars Unveiled

BMW's Eco-friendly ‘i’ Concept family's first cars - the all-electric car i3 and the hybrid supercar i8 have been unveiled. The BMW i3 Concept, also called as the MegaCity Vehicle because it's designed for the urban localities. It is completely powered by electricity and will give emission-free mobility to the riders. BMW i8 is the sports car with the fuel economy of a small car. There launch is cited to happen in the next 2 years. BMW i3 in 2013 and the BMW i8 in 2014.

#-Link-Snipped-#

“We are marking another milestone in the history of the BMW Group. As Chairman of the Board and an engineer myself, I am very proud of this project,” declared Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, at Friday’s premiere of the two vehicles in Frankfurt. “As the world’s leading premium car manufacturer, our aim is to offer customers purpose-built electric-drive cars as well,” he added.

BMW i3 Concept comes with LifeDrive architecture that has a low-weight carbon passenger cell. This electric car comes with optimal interior space with four seats and a 200-litre luggage compartment. Whereas, the BMW i8 Concept is capable of going from 0 to 100 km/h in less than 5 seconds. It's fuel consumption rate is 3 liters per 100 km. It also has a three-cylinder petrol engine & it's top speed is of 250 km/h.

#-Link-Snipped-#

BMW’s Leipzig plant in Germany will be the production house of both these cars & an investment of 400 million euros will be made for the same. BMW will create 800 new jobs in the process. It's also in news that the company is investigating the possibility of erecting its own wind turbines on the plant site.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like the BMW i3 first drive was successful and every auto news blog out there is raving about how stupendous it is and eagerly awaiting a launch date. This week, BMW released not only a few technical specifications for the powertrain but also some details of the car's advanced connectivity and navigation systems.

slide

BMW will roll out its i3 electric sometime during the second quarter of 2014.
    You can check out all the features and technical specifications of this car here - #-Link-Snipped-# and share your views about the same.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Just checked the website.It looks incredible with its features such as coupe,electric,calculator ,etc and will storm the auto industry.

Will it make an experience in India soon and can it beat audi and benz in luxury sector.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    India Needs more Electric charging outlet in the wide nation That will make the electric cars to gain popularity in Our nation
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Very intelligent concept indeed. I truly loved the i8's design, but wish these cars turn out to be more affordable in the future.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    anoopthefriend
    Very intelligent concept indeed. I truly loved the i8's design, but wish these cars turn out to be more affordable in the future.
    In other words I wish you had bigger pockets now to afford them. Well price is scheduled to go down with more competitors launching vehicles in this line
  • mani auto
    mani auto
    nice project.. eco friendly cars are good in future.every car having some defects.in future india will make it easy to electric charging outlet in wide.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Electric Engines dont give that much of power as we get from the fuel. but BMW must surely have done something in this field. Else they wouldn't have taken that risk.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Electric Engines dont give that much of power as we get from the fuel. but BMW must surely have done something in this field. Else they wouldn't have taken that risk.
    The engineered their car better this time to harvest little power efficiently and 250mph is not slow speed
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    The engineered their car better this time to harvest little power efficiently and 250mph is not slow speed

Its 250 kmph. Plus it is lab tested top speed. I dont suppose it can reach that on road with a couple of people inside and AC is turned on. If it comes to India, it will perform just like an average car but that too at a hefty price tag.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Its 250 kmph. Plus it is lab tested top speed. I dont suppose it can reach that on road with a couple of people inside and AC is turned on. If it comes to India, it will perform just like an average car but that too at a hefty price tag.
    Well yeah but it can reach atleast 0 to 80Kmph on road in 5 seconds that is really a good speed

PS: 0-100 kmph in labs can't be reached as per your opinion

In India it is not possible but some places we have much better roads
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I assume we can say good or bad only after understanding what the concept is all about. We have to get into details and understand how this will reach the speed quoted.

For example, as Nayan told if there are 4 people in the car and AC is switched on, the car speed will reduce. This is true for most of the small cars. But mid size to big cars have dedicated cc of their engine to support the AC system. So it makes little to no difference if we switch on AC or switch it off.

So, I would say dig deeper into details, how is the transmission achieved and how does the electric motor actually works in this car. Then debating on good or bad works 😀
  • Aakash R Mishra
    Aakash R Mishra
    Yupp, indeed a very good concept, coz in today's world as we are moving fast with a wide pace, one has to take into account of the environment factors. Save Environment.........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If there is any problem associated with the implementation of Solar energy, then it is the unreliable nature of a typical solar day. Sun does not shine continuously. The heat...
The third 'Humble Indie Bundle' has incurred over 105,000 purchases in barely under 17 ho
Purdue University scientists have successfully created an ultrapure material with unique properties that can capture new states of matter. The material so developed is governed by the mutual interactions between...
If you think that a physically disabled person, say a paralytic patient, will never be able to move, then think again! University Of Maryland researchers have invented a Brain cap ...
Just when Ubuntu One reached the 1 million user’s mark in may, Ubuntu has now announced that the memory storage space for the Ubuntu users has been increased from 2GB...