BME PhD Career Options in Industry?

Hi Guys,

I recently completed my B.E. in Biomedical Engineering and will be entering into a M.Eng program for Biomedical Engineering at Cornell University. Seeing that the field of BME is inter-disciplinary, and so large, I wanted some help with career outlook for BMEs and the education which these positions require.

Since BME is largely a research-oriented field, it is recommended that one receives a graduate degree before entering the workforce. While I understand this, I am confused as to what "my next step" should be to begin my career.

My Career Interests

I've always been interested in healthcare and technology. Specifically, bioinstrumentation and imaging. I am interested in industry jobs. Although I do not mind research, I can rather see myself more involved in the industry. I have more of a business-oriented mind and can see myself in the workforce (being involved in design, testing and collaborations between companies) rather than an academic-oriented mind, pursuing research projects and writing grants.

At some point in my life, I want to create small start-up biotech companies and then develop them. I have an entrepreneurial spirit, but unsure of how to proceed with the next step of my education.

PhD or Work Experience

If my end goal is to be involved in industry, and eventually create a startup company, would it be valuable to pursue a PhD, with the intent of entering industry after? Should I take some time off and get some work experience after my masters? Are there industry opportunities for PhDs with a business-oriented mind?

Thank you!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you are industry oriented, it may be better to avoid major academic programs. Companies like GE are setting up shop in China for their medical imaging activities. Marketing, post sales service are areas one can find useful jobs. One can get into maintenance of imaging and other instruments in major health care facilities.
    Have a look at this:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    The Mittelsatnd model of Germany is worth emulating in the BME field.

BME is not just a research oriented field.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I recently installed Incredimail and found that it altered the default search engine settings in the URL bar. That is, when instead of entering URL, if I entered a keyword...
Binary Search is one way to find some element, say ITEM, in a linear (one dimensional) array which is sorted in some order. This order may be ascending or descending...
Can someone post the selection process in caterpillar? I could not find out the previous year placement papers of caterpillar. Please share some of the questions in this thread.
Thanks to the advancement in the technology and the simultaneous growth of human knowledge, technology does not seem safe anymore. One of the leading blogging tool and publisher tool, WordPress...
Hi Guys, I am person not on java platform still I have to develop J2ME application which has became mandatory for me , so please can you tell any j2me...