Bikes with gear shifters on foot! But why?

Folks, i've often wondered why we still use bikes with gear shifters on the foot side. In this fast moving world, doesn't that seem to slow things down? Why not use an electric concept like a switch on the left handle instead of the left foot? Inviting engineers to a thoughtful debate.

P.S.: Inviting #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and other motorcycle enthusiasts to share their views.

Replies

• ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    You can get that on a geared scooter, scooters employ hand gear system whereas bikes employ foot gear system.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Why not use the same technology or better on bikes? Bikes are more comfortable for long journeys compared to scooters. Scooters are worth for short distance city usage. They don't exactly qualify for long distances.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't have any knowledge on how switches can be used in place of traditional system.I guess that,gears shifting using switches might be costlier than traditional way.
    And upto certain extent, Switches are less reliable than foot gear switching.You never know when switch stops working.

Rather than replacing gearing shifting using foot --> switches, why don't we replace it with automatic gearing?
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    anoopthefriend
    Why not use the same technology or better on bikes? Bikes are more comfortable for long journeys compared to scooters. Scooters are worth for short distance city usage. They don't exactly qualify for long distances.
    How can you say this?
    In what way is it comfortable?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In geared bike sytem there is always 4 things :
    clutch, front and rear break and changing gear system.
    This system is occupying two hands and two feet.

Now if you change the location of gear to bike handle that means one feet is useless and one of the hand to do more that one work.
    while using clutch, other hand have to change the gear (using clutch and changing gear by only hand like scooter , I don't thing it's a efficient and good idea).

Automatic gearing ???? Scotties are already there.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#. Also #-Link-Snipped-# is saying is possible. But the present system of using legs for shifting gears is more appropriate. (I have my own set of reasons).
    I did a project on automatic gear shifting mechanism. In that I had used some simple electronic components. 6V battery, IR sensor and photodiode, dynamo etc. It was only a bit different to the scooty that ianoop mentioned.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Automatic gearing ???? Scotties are already there.
    I am sure of one thing that,Scotties don't have gearing system.
    Automatic gearing & only accelerator based vehicle are two different things.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# said it all.

the electric switch system will not be so reliable , and efficient as the mechanical foot lever.

what #-Link-Snipped-# said is true too. you need all your 4 limbs to drive any vehicle, be it cars or bikes, with each limb controlling one thing of the auto.

however if you want to make geared bikes where the gears are changed using an electric switch, then better make the entire vehicle automatically transmitted, the way scooties and activas are.

this idea, of an switch controlled shifter, to be honest, is just like re-inventing the wheel.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    the only thing about the shifter of a geared bike that needs to be re-engineered is the gear shift pattern.

a certain gear shift pattern for all bikes have to be introduced.

certain bikes have a two-sided see-saw type shifter, while others have a one-sided lever type shifter, and this is quite annoying.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Troll_So_Hard
    I am sure of one thing that,Scotties don't have gearing system.
    Automatic gearing & only accelerator based vehicle are two different things.
    Actually I was indicating towards freedom of selecting power according to our need.

I think original question was inspired by racing cars which have hand gear shifting just below the steering.

By the way, here is how a scooter gear(variator) works

#-Link-Snipped-#

certain bikes have a two-sided see-saw type shifter, while others have a one-sided lever type shifter, and this is quite annoying.
    Initially it feels little bit odd but later everyone learned that there is no need to go on Neutral gear in such bikes.

One thing I highly recommend in bikes, is engine switch off button, it saves some fuel by switching off engines 15-30 meters before actual destination. (Bajaj bikes have it.)

ps: I am out of ideas in changing current handling in motorbikes. May be I am feeling very comfortable with it.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    As for Bikes, I definitely hope they re-engineer the gear pattern.

#-Link-Snipped-#: You're right about switched devices. I'm unaware of the mechanical possibilities in re-engineering such a concept, but where there is a will there is a way!

#-Link-Snipped-#: We all thought the computers needed a mouse and keyboard. Now we just touch them. Your point about the messed up gear system in bikes is true.

#-Link-Snipped-#: Yes, I did look up about racing cars. How do they shift gears on racing bikes? Is it automatic too?

#-Link-Snipped-#: I'm listening. Bring out the innovation! 😀

@ALL: Is there a possibility to keep both gear options? One switch and the other mechanical.
    eg: Bikes now have automatic as well as mechanical start options.

Reason behind this question: When scooters race around in a traffic jam, it's not that easy to maneuver a bike. Just the possibility of a different location to the gear could help (it's just my theory as one leg is left free to move through the traffic).
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    anoopthefriend
    @ALL: Is there a possibility to keep both gear options? One switch and the other mechanical.
    eg: Bikes now have automatic as well as mechanical start options.

Reason behind this question: When scooters race around in a traffic jam, it's not that easy to maneuver a bike. Just the possibility of a different location to the gear could help (it's just my theory as one leg is left free to move through the traffic).
    it is possible.

but something tells me that electric shifter may never last.

the manufacturers too may never give a damn, if it is built that way.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I like it that way for uniformity reasons, simply since that is how it has been (although there have been right foot shifting bikes & a couple twist grips). Basically foot shifting is to spread the work uniformly between all four appendages (throttle, clutch, front brake, rear brake and shifting). Also, foot shifting makes it a simpler design mechanically as the transmission is near the feet. The easiest way to alter that is with an air shifter system conversion. This uses handlebar mounted buttons to electronically trigger an air system to mechanically shift the gear box. These are mainly used in racing bikes.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's great to be welcomed to this great site! I am an older guy, living in Tampa, FL with my wife. I'm a programmer at Elavon, Inc, a subsidiary of...
Just a few hours ago, Japanese electronics and gaming giant, Sony unveiled the future of Playstation and officially announced the Playstation 4 console. The company showed new gaming engines and...
😀 Good day! I would like to ask if you can suggest any references for programming PIC microcontroller specifically the PIC16f84A using MPLAB?
I am a Civil Engineer graduated in 1984. Since than I have been working with different engineering organizations.
Hey frnz I want to download arun sharma e-book for cat apptitude I did google for it but could find any link from where i could exactly download the book...