bike modification

Hello there, how are you =)
i had a thought if making a digital speed-o-meter out of my bike's analog speed-o-meter with LCD interfacing.
So, can any one tell me how speed-o-meter works and Interfacing it to LCD so that it can be made digital....
Isn't it a techie thought 😎
Good bye for now, have a nice day ahead

Replies

• Voltaire
    Voltaire
    It works with eddy currents. You can take it to LCD with a PIC microcontroller
    Now go and do your research and come back with a proper question
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    explain it in detail (if u know) or :sshhh:
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    explain it in detail
    I do know but I'm not going to tell you. You have made ZERO effort and just want somebody else to do your work. Do you even have a bread board or a soldering iron? How many spares do you have? What are the specs of your display? What do you think: what size resistor do you need? And what type PIC will do the job? How does a speedometer work? You don't know. I bet you don't have even one transistor in your possession. And about your 'techie-ness': pfff
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    Voltaire
    I do know but I'm not going to tell you. You have made ZERO effort and just want somebody else to do your work. Do you even have a bread board or a soldering iron? How many spares do you have? What are the specs of your display? What do you think: what size resistor do you need? And what type PIC will do the job? How does a speedometer work? You don't know. I bet you don't have even one transistor in your possession. And about your 'techie-ness': pfff
    First thing first:::::yes i got both bread board and soldering iron having more than 1 transistor with me.....and by the way how the heck can you say that i don't have an breadboard or something.....I'm an electronics engineer and these thing are always with an electronics engineer......and if you don't want to help then just move your butt from here.Damn you are here to help others not to question them :X
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    you are here to help others not to question them
    Your argument(sic.) is post hoc ergo propter hoc and therefor lacks premise. It is therefor, by definition, not an argument and should not be answered except to say 'No, I'm not!' and to challenge you to prove it.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Tell me how you will convert an eddy current to a digital signal and how you will convert that signal to a display output
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    TARANJEET SINGH
    First thing first:::::yes i got both bread board and soldering iron having more than 1 transistor with me.....and by the way how the heck can you say that i don't have an breadboard or something.....I'm an electronics engineer and these thing are always with an electronics engineer......and if you don't want to help then just move your butt from here.Damn you are here to help others not to question them :X
    Taranjeet - you never know who's helping you. While seeking help; it always helps to be thorough in our responses, questions. Please refrain from using such language.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    my mistake; i apologize from the bottom of my heart (sorry😔 voltaire, The_Big_K)😔
    and to voltaire; yes i have came to know about working of speedometer, eddy current and electromagnetism.Assuming that i had got the basic knowledge of speed-o-meter(mechanical), can you add something more to my knowledge.....
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi Taranjeet
    All is forgiven and you have good manners.
    Look up Wheatstone Bridge
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    Voltaire
    Look up Wheatstone Bridge
    do you mean to say that i should get info about wheat stone bridge ¿
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    There is one option that you can use REED Switch and Magnet combination you have to mount Magnet on the wheel and When it interacts with REED Swith it gives Pulse then you have count that Pulse. Try to get some data from your side if possible.

i think once i had read the same project in one electronics magazine if you need then i can sent you the circuit diagram you just arrange the component and do testing of it.

and yes do not forgot to post the Update of the project here on CE !
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Voltaire
    It works with eddy currents. You can take it to LCD with a PIC microcontroller
    Now go and do your research and come back with a proper question
    Hello Voltaire,

Can i use REED Switch and Magnet combination to count the Rotation. i am asking this one because somewhere i had seen the same mechanism and even in the Power Loom Machine they are using mechanism something like this... they count the rotation with REED Switch.. so i think it can also be applicable to Count the speed of the Bike.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Cool man! That is what India is about: simpler, better, faster!
    I would never have thought of that!
    Just to satisfy my curiosity: does the circuit use a timer (e.g. 555)

We all want to help but what you did is correct: point the requester in the right direction and encourage learning. Way to go!
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    godfather
    There is one option that you can use REED Switch and Magnet combination you have to mount Magnet on the wheel and When it interacts with REED Swith it gives Pulse then you have count that Pulse. Try to get some data from your side if possible.

i think once i had read the same project in one electronics magazine if you need then i can sent you the circuit diagram you just arrange the component and do testing of it.

and yes do not forgot to post the Update of the project here on CE !
    Yes i would love to have that circuit diagram....I'll {try}do the rest..
    and thanks for the post
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Voltaire
    Cool man! That is what India is about: simpler, better, faster!
    I would never have thought of that!
    Just to satisfy my curiosity: does the circuit use a timer (e.g. 555)

We all want to help but what you did is correct: point the requester in the right direction and encourage learning. Way to go!
    We can also use 555 but if we are using Microcontroller instead of that then its great controller itself start the timer and count the Turn and also interface with LCD will make easy to display the Speed.
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Nice. Thanks
    Our friend Taranjeet asks for a circuit diagram...
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    Good evening to all!
    i surfed the net about REED Switch and Magnet combination and got a lot of info about that.
    but please tell me that when magnet passes through reed switch you say that it will run a counter, but how it will calculate the speed of the bike...
    means will it be gonna give as rpm...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    After Searching EFY magazines finally i found the circuit for which i had suggested.. i read it 2 years ago. you can take this one as a reference and start your work.

For Circuit #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    I could not open the link but found another one here PDF
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    thanks, i got the file and will try to implement as soon as possible..... and i had any doubts i hope that i can get help here 😀
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    that file doesn't include the source code...can anyone help ¿
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hey Taranjeet,

Asking for Source Code !! ? It means after that you have to do nothing. why don't you try to make code by yourself, if you doing so then it will also be helpful to you in future.. this spoon feed things are not give you knowledge.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    huh, got the idea.NO pain NO gain :-|

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ladies/Fellas You've got to cut us some slack here. We want to help but you are making it very difficult. Some of the questions that are asked are simply impossible...
Flummox : Meaning : to bewilder, confuse Usage : After boarding the bus, I was flummoxed to find that I did not have enough money for the ticket. Syn :...
What are the jobs that we can get after completing MBA in Banking and Finance, which Sikkim Manipal University has newly started.
It's very unlikely that a frequent internet user had never stumbled into Wikipedia. Its an idea which has accelerated & revolutionized the information sharing between people. It's very much similar...
Dear CEIan, I have been searching alot on internet this few weeks, but i could hardly get some idea on how to determine the tooth of my racks which i...