bicycle movement!

if a bicycle moves forward on forward pedalling....then why it does not go backward on backward pedaling....is the backward movement blocked or what?...if yes then what is the mechanism?

Replies

• antenna
    antenna
    There is a pawl - ratchet mechanism inside.
  • Plasma
    Plasma
    genuinely a bicycle is pedalled forward. If it was designed to go backward while 'backward pedalling' we would have a big loss because slight backward pedalling would incur a huge decelleration. Well, we can design gear that intakes both forward and backward input for the output in the same direction.
    anu_mech
    if a bicycle moves forward on forward pedalling....then why it does not go backward on backward pedaling....is the backward movement blocked or what?...if yes then what is the mechanism?
  • 4d1
    4d1
    [​IMG]

its ratchet-pawl mechanism
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yep, as a kid I remember the bikes not having that feature (except ten speeds) and pedaling backwards were your brakes. You sure could do som serious power slides with those as compared to the lever brakes.
  • anu_mech
    anu_mech
    thanx all!
  • 4d1
    4d1
    gohm
    Yep, as a kid I remember the bikes not having that feature (except ten speeds) and pedaling backwards were your brakes. You sure could do som serious power slides with those as compared to the lever brakes.
    are those still available...and how much effective are they?
  • gohm
    gohm
    I'm sure they still are. The braking that way was much more effective then the handlebar lever/wheel pad style. At least at that time anyways. My sisters had 10 speeds and I could easily out brake their bikes on my dirt bike even though you only had a rear brake. Power sliding was always a lot of fun. If I then jumped onto a 10 speed I would always initally try to brake by back pedaling before I realized I was just free spinning. laugh

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Assembled PCs are popular. Can we assemble a laptop with our own configuration ?
8 October 2009 – VEGA Consulting Services Ltd (VEGA), a Finmeccanica company, is proposing the adoption of a UK Information Sharing Strategy, as part of its sponsorship of the RUSI/Intellect...
plz suggest me some best sites for collecting this info
As topic, guys do u have any website that has engineering textbooks to download ?
Here is what happens when a geek becomes a father!! This is cute!! Use an Old Linux Computer to Put your Baby to Sleep