Better center-stand design for two-wheelers

A lot of people find it difficult to put the two-wheelers (aka Activa, Scooty, Crystal and so on) on the center-stand on their own. Apparently the most common design of the stand found in these two-wheelers resembles this -

center-stand

If you could master the technique of balancing your weight on the lever; you can easily get the center-stand in its position; without much efforts. I'm calling for ideas on making the center stand better in two wheelers so that ever the elderly people can use it.

What say you?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    This design is the best i guess, and it gives the best leverage.

As far as elderly people are concerned, then i guess we need to use something hydraulic.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    This design is the best i guess, and it gives the best leverage.
    Well, it's not very functional. I've seen many women struggle with the center stand. As I said - there's a specific way of using this mechanism; but unfortunately, not everyone is comfortable with it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A lot of major automobile companies have expert teams working full time in the R&D department for coming up with better solutions in design of the two wheelers.

Side stands can come handy but many a times main stand or centre stand is used to kick start if battery fails.
    Even I have seen ladies calling passers by to pull the vehicle or request them to park it on main stand.
    I am sure there are better ways to make the centre stand easier to work with.

I have been told, that most people who find it difficult, don't know what they are doing. The trick is to push down with your foot, and not trying the lift vehicle.

I wonder if we can automate the whole process. Doesn't look like rocket science.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Yeah i myself was finding it difficult to deploy the center stand when i was learning to drive.

then my dad showed me the trick: you just have to firmly pull back the rear side rail, while pressing down your foot strongly on the stand lever pad.

but this thing is completely mechanical, and involves usage of muscular force.
    we can make things easy by using hydraulic cylinders. you just apply small force on the master cylinder, and the large sized slave cylinder will actuate the stand in position.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    We used to have these main stand on on traditional scooters like (LML Vespa & Priya).
    Stand

Never saw any senior citizen/Adult facing trouble using it.

Did those stand had any technical problems?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Vikram S Bargah
    We used to have these main stand on on traditional scooters like (LML Vespa & Priya).
    Stand

Never saw any senior citizen/Adult facing trouble using it.

Did those stand had any technical problems?
    the reason why those senior citizens never faced trouble was, first of all they were all men, and they were far more stronger than us. to deploy the stand, they nearly lift up the vehicle, by its rear grab rail, and kick down the stand. when they laid down the machine, the latter would land on its stand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The International Space Station (ISS) does use a lot of sophisticated electronics and throws out the heat generated by the electric components into the big bad void. It's a waste...
A team of researchers from ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratory) of the Department of Energy has developed a new kind of unusual battery that can last as long as 10...
Raspberry Pi enthusiast David Hunt successfully built a smartphone by using our favourite mini-PC. Readers might have recognised Hunt from his previous creations such as Pi-Rex, a Raspberry Pi-Based Dog-Door...
Skype's premium feature - group video calling, is now free for all the Windows, OSX and XBOX users. Skype offered this feature to all its premium subscribers for $8.99/month on...
Hi Friends, please help me, I am working on self project: Bike replacement Automobile. I want to design this vehicle in such a way that it could be 1st choice...