Better Alerts

I didn't find suggestion thread so I am posting here:

Whe we are getting new alerts, its showing only on alert button and floating bar inside page.
If possible add alert numbers in title tab bar like gmail. It will notify us if we are still browsing on different tab of that window.
It will look cool.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We do have a #-Link-Snipped-#s section πŸ˜€

Alerts are displayed all over the site (except for the VoiCE/Small Talk). Could you elaborate a bit in more detail, please?
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Capture
    I think he is talking about this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    born_star16
    Capture
    I see! That's cool idea. I'm noting it down.

I'm also wondering whether we should have an android/ios app to keep our CEans logged in and receive alerts through app notifications or SMS πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I think we'll have to tweak the system a bit. Currently the browser picks up the thread title in that area. Gmail does not have to show the 'title' in thread.

Checking this with the devs. πŸ˜€
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Yeah, same thing I was about to say that too today! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One integral part of showing the alert count in the browser tab is that we'll have to auto update it; that might just get heavy on our servers (Facebook has lot of money, you see).

I think I'll still go ahead and test it. If it's works, you'll see it here on CE.
  • im_Aswath
    im_Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I'm also wondering whether we should have an android/ios app to keep our CEans logged in and receive alerts through app notifications or SMS πŸ˜€
    This will surely attract more Engineers to CE πŸ‘
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    born_star16
    Capture
    Yes, I am talking to have notificaiton like this...
    Since now a days everyone using tabbed browsing on multiple tabs in single window. we will get instant notification if any reply/like will come to watched thread.

I think it quite simple to implement.
    I don't know PHP but it can be done by Updating title tag as per alert button object.πŸ˜’
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    ianoop
    I think it quite simple to implement.
    I don't know PHP but it can be done by Updating title tag as per alert button object.πŸ˜’
    Not easy to implement as Big_K is saying but is surely very useful when you are using several tabs in your browser.πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Well see, sever is getting busy when it quering to get number of Alerts object. So it would be simple to update title of page as soon as Alert object gets updated by java script.
    I could be wrong because, I don't know implementation of CE .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Currently, you need to trigger an action on the site in order to fetch the latest alerts. We don't use long polling. That means if you're browsing any other tab; no action will be triggered on community. So no alerts would be fetched.

There's a way to do this; but I'll have to try it out on our test server. I however do not think that this will increase activity on the site.

A lot of our focus is on the more awesome stuff. πŸ˜‰ Stay tuned.
    The_Big_K
    One integral part of showing the alert count in the browser tab is that we'll have to auto update it; that might just get heavy on our servers (Facebook has lot of money, you see).

I think I'll still go ahead and test it. If it's works, you'll see it here on CE.
    We are not asking you to update at each interval, but just to add the number to the title. I guess this is possible, when you are embedding the span, why not change the title content too?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    We are not asking you to update at each interval, but just to add the number to the title. I guess this is possible, when you are embedding the span, why not change the title content too?
    I didn't say it's *not* possible. It's just that we can't afford to ping the server quite often.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    A lot of our focus is on the more awesome stuff. πŸ˜‰ Stay tuned.
    There you go again! πŸ˜›
    The_Big_K
    I didn't say it's *not* possible. It's just that we can't afford to ping the server quite often.
    That's what I said, you need not give another request, but while you update the alert box here, just update the title too! πŸ˜€ Simple! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    That's what I said, you need not give another request, but while you update the alert box here, just update the title too! πŸ˜€ Simple! πŸ˜€
    The alert box gets updated only when there's an action! The whole point of displaying the alert count is that when you are on a different tab; the alert count will inform you whether there's a new alert.

But when you're browsing a different tab; there won't be any action on the forum; so the alert box won't get updated on its own.
    The_Big_K
    The alert box gets updated only when there's an action! The whole point of displaying the alert count is that when you are on a different tab; the alert count will inform you whether there's a new alert.

But when you're browsing a different tab; there won't be any action on the forum; so the alert box won't get updated on its own.
    Okay, even this is fine, attach the count to the title when the alert box gets updated. No pings, no requests! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Okay, even this is fine, attach the count to the title when the alert box gets updated. No pings, no requests! πŸ˜€
    In that case, there's no point in displaying the count in tab! πŸ˜–
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Recently signed up on FB.
    The alerts display on the tab is very distracting. 😁
    Dancer_Engineer
    Recently signed up on FB.
    The alerts display on the tab is very distracting. 😁
    Oh! Why so? Its actually better!!! Same case with GMail too!!! πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, If you want to offer your feedback or have suggestions to make CE better, we already have a section called "Site Related Questions & Answers". It's inside the 'Introductions'...
NVIDIA has announced that registration is now open for its third GPU Technology Conference (GTC)in the U.S., one of the world’s fastest-growing events focused on computational science and visualization. GTC...
I'm looking for some information on the Pneumatic Bike. What exactly is it and how does it function?
Where can i get the class note of Structural Analysis 1 in internet? Do you knw any Website about basic civil engineering Study, (Like Horizontal vertical force calculation, moment calculation,...
Life is Short !