CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Saijayadeep • 09 Jul, 2013 • 2 likes
In short time and with great determination, can we increase our aptitude skills?
If so..,suggest some measures?
It would be better if the suggestion is very clear not just stating that just work out previous papers.
Suggest a resource in particular and then give your tips(optional)/your experience?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 09 Jul, 2013 • 1 like The best way to be able to solve multiple choice math and logical question is to practice. But when practice is coupled with smart problem solving techniques, the results are the best! The more the number of apti questions you will solve, the better you will be at solving them. The aim should be to attain a level of efficiency when you can guess the answer automatically while reading the question. Because having solved 100s of similar questions; you will know the right approach to solving the questions.

Solving previous years will definitely help.
@rahul69 • 09 Jul, 2013 • 1 like
Saijayadeep
In short time and with great determination, can we increase our aptitude skills?
If so..,suggest some measures?
It would be better if the suggestion is very clear not just stating that just work out previous papers.
Suggest a resource in particular and then give your tips(optional)/your experience?
Take some good books of Aptitude (eg. RS Aggarwal) and practice daily.
Keeping time restriction (ie solving problems within some fixed time limit) will help for sure.
Then the questions which u find difficult, you can discuss with us to get multiple ideas to solve problems.
Good Luck 😀
@Saijayadeep • 09 Jul, 2013 sir Kaustubh Katdare
Actually i prepared my mind to practice apti questions in the month of june as i am having vacation and till the last moment of my vacation starting time my internship confirmation in a company is in pending and at last i got it and worked as an intern for one month...now i am not confident that i am good in aptitude and by next month probably we will get companies for recruitment so now i am having a lot of fear to face it...what should i do now?
@Saijayadeep • 09 Jul, 2013 Thank You rahul..!!!
@Kaustubh Katdare • 09 Jul, 2013 • 2 likes I'd say keep practicing the aptitude till the moment you get placed in your dream company. You can dedicate some time to hone your communication skills (if required) and it'd not hurt to go through all the textbooks and important subjects/topics before you face interviews.
@Saijayadeep • 09 Jul, 2013 because of the fear i am not able to concentrate well...am i fearing unnecessarily?
@zaveri • 09 Jul, 2013
Saijayadeep
because of the fear i am not able to concentrate well...am i fearing unnecessarily?

of course you are ! don't be afraid. just think of the aptitude papers as one of the analytical engineering papers which you like.
@Ankita Katdare • 30 Jul, 2015 • 1 like A lot of students believe that those with in-born talent have exceptional aptitude skills and they can solve aptitude problems much faster than others. There are a lot of misconceptions about having a great IQ as an in-born ability, when the reality is that every skill can be developed with enough practice. Ask that to a well-versed musician or a mathematician or a rocket scientist. They got to where they are at by practicing at their chosen subject. Same goes for improving aptitude skills. I do not need to repeat the importance of smart work being as necessary as hard work.

Why is improving aptitude skills important?
  • No matter what career path you choose, the so-called competitive exams taken as the entrance test are going to be there.
  • More than 70% of the world’s recruitment companies use aptitude test as a part of their recruitment procedure.
A common problem among students is that they don't know where to start. Questions like, which book to purchase, what problems to solve, what needs more attention plague the student's mind and that often leads to over-thinking and in-action.

The best way to improve aptitude skills is by starting with one particular topic at a time.
Check the major areas where you need to focus your efforts on:
  1. Time, Speed and Distance questions
  2. Time and Work related questions
  3. Probability questions
  4. Permutation and Combination based questions
  5. Ration and Proportions
  6. Allegations and Mixtures
  7. Percentages
  8. Algebra
  9. Number systems
  10. Averages
  11. Data Interpretation
  12. Profit and Loss
  13. Mensuration
Go ahead and buy the book by R.S.Agrawal and start solving problems of each type. Check your answers and identify the topics where your answers are the most wrong. You have to read the solutions in this area and practice more of those.

Tip: Solve any 10 questions of any 3 topics everyday. Within a week's time you will see an improvement in your results.

Once you are done chewing that book from head to toe. Go for solving puzzles. There are tons of websites that offer them.

If you think online is too much of a distraction, buy the books by Shakuntala Devi.
Names:
  • Puzzles to Puzzle You
  • More Puzzles to Puzzle You
Try to solve any 3 problems of this book everyday on your own, without any external help.

Even if you dedicate just 1 hour of everyday for 2-3 months, you will see phenomenal increase in your aptitude test scores.
@Kavya Burramolla • 20 Jan, 2020 • 2 likes

Great @Ankita Katdare!!! You cleared many of the wrong assumptions about the in-born talent. I completely agree that we are in a competitive world where every entrance exam test for ones aptitude level. It is very important that one must have good aptitude skills.

As you have a time constraint and want to learn aptitude I’d suggest to go through one standard book - RS Agarwal. I agree that there are multiple books available for aptitude but if you start going through multiple books you will finally end up in confusion. Observe and practice different methods solving a problem. That will help you at the time of exam as if one method fails the other method can help you to solve.

I was also in the same situation and decided to spend at least 2 hour per day to solve and learn the methods of the problem. Dedicating and deciding a time lapse will help you but don’t stick your brain to learn only in that 2 hours. I understood that only practice can make me perfect and then started analysing everything I see while travelling and solving puzzles without use of pen and paper. This will help you to fasten your thinking ability and help to progress. Also I’d suggest to solve the aptitude questions online. There are many websites for practicing aptitude online. 

@Chebet Sarah • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

Solve questions daily. Do this without by yourself without looking at the solutions first. You can look for an aptitude test book. Try not using a calculator.

To help with logical skills, brain teasers are very useful. Your brain will work faster and smarter.

Go online and find websites that have aptitude tests related resources. You will be able to find some competitive exams. I found Online Aptitude Test - Online tests for interview, competitive and entrance examinations. to be useful.

Track the amount of time that you spend on solving each question. You should be able to solve a lot of questions in a short span of time.

Do some kind of problems again and again till you master them. This will boost memory problems and help correct mistakes.

Proper planning is important. Have a plan you will follow to improve your skills. This will give you aim at everything you should work on.

@bill yorke • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

Perfection comes from practice especially when it comes to acquisition, improvement and retention of skills. aptitude skills can be better increased through continuous practice and exposure. Curiosity to information and commitment to the setting is critical aspect in increasing one's aptitude skills. Proper planning, solving brain teasers and puzzles, visit websites from aptitude websites could be very key in this regard. 

@Durgesh Srivastava • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

Practice - Practice alot .

Basics - Work on your basics first.you can join any class also for learning basics.

Consistancy - Practice with proper consistancy .

Concept - Concept is the king. So focus on learning concept first.

Time management- Try to solve the problem in very less time.

Short tricks - Learn short tricks.that will help you in exam .

play games - you can play math games,puzzles to sharpen your mind.

Brain teaser - solve brain teaser , sudoku , puzzles will help you to improve your logical skills. 

@Mohana Chandra • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

Practice is the only way and key to improve aptitude skills.Get to know and understand the concepts of topics,through which we can solve the problems .Learn the formulae for the concepts ,which are difficult to solve. Attempt the online quizzes to gain more practice& hold over the topics.  Make time management, as there will be time limit in online quizzes which helps to make it.

@Swarup Pan • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

The best and old fashioned way to increase aptitude skills is practice.

But the way you practice should be smart. You can always go through the Agarwal's book for aptitude. But there is also some technique. First you try to solve 10 examples from every topic. Then try to solve last 10 problems of the exercises of every topic. Then you should search on google for best aptitude sites for the specific exam are you appearing. There is aptitude questions available on indiabix.com, perpinsta, hackerearth etc many more websites. Go through them alo. And you will be confident in aptitude.

@Noothan Kumar • 20 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

for improving out  your aptitude skills you need to practice a lot and lot...

1.make you base very clear in mathematics.

2.aptitude questions can be more confusing so allocate more time on that.

3. belive me your maths 10th class book is enough you to get through.

4.since these questions cant be learnt therefore only practice can help you

5.increase your speed by practicing various question papers.

6.take challenge of solving atleast 20 sums initially and gradually increase the number...

remember practice makes the man perfect...

@supriya VN gowda • 21 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

Solve aptitude questions asked in competitive exams. There are online apps for practicing aptitude questions so practice them daily. You can refer geeks for geeks, indiabix, R S Agarwal books it will help you to improve your aptitude skills. Time management skills is what we have to give more importance. Instead of remembering all the formulas you can remember shortcut rules for math problems.

For english you should read and understand passage fastly. And for Technical we should have basic knowledge of your domain subjects. Sometimes we may get confuse for even simple questions so we have to be very much confident on our answers. If you want to prepare for coding its good to practice daily in geeks for geeks, hackerearth, hackerrank it improves your programming knowledge. Learn shortcuts for answering profit and loss, percentage problems it says most of your time.

@Karshil Sheth • 23 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

I was very interested in mathematics so from young age only I started solving mental maths question book and shakuntala devi's book. I am sorry if you have heard her name but in our school her book was used as textbook than the original textbook assigned to us.

Coming back to question, Aptitude Test are very good to showcase one's skills and his mindset to the problems. Increasing Aptitude may get you good score, one fine day but it won't help you in daily life. 

I have seen guys with low result come with good aptitude score and couldn't reach to the next level. So you have to be consistent in what you want. Increasing the aptitude can be done within 3-4 weeks by solving problems and papers from different sources. But if you are looking for long term winner, try solving problems that are really challenging and have more importance!!

@niket sharma • 10 Feb, 2020

The best way to increase your aptitude skill is by giving mock test, practising maths question and by giving various competitive exam. Online Aptitude Test - Online tests for interview, competitive and entrance examinations.</a>

@Swarup Pan • 10 Feb, 2020

The only and the best answer for this question is practice. 

You should have to choose a book first and then go through the topics as well as 10 examples of each chapter.

Then you must try to solve 10 questions of the exercise of each chapter.

Then you must go for websites like indiabix for better and current questions.

12k views

Related Posts

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 6, 2013

Microsoft, the software giant, has announced its product - Microsoft Office 365 University in India for both full-time and part-time students of accredited colleges and universities. Targetting thousands of colleges...
4.2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 29, 2011

As you all know TCS has changed the test taking pattern since last year. The New TCS test has: 1. No of questions: 35 2. Test Duration: 80 Minutes 3....
3.1k views

@Jaylene Quipia · Jul 19, 2015

i am not able to come up with a new idea for new and unique projects for disabled person or even new projects related for ECE students. can somebody please...
13.8k views

@rocking bilal · Dec 20, 2012

hi.. m mohd bilal sir i want to about some events which are feasible for our technical fest.. if you
9k views

@satty lavanya · Sep 20, 2012

Hello, I am Satty from Vishakhapatnam. Can someone tell me about the dielectrics in capacitors? What is their role? How do they function?
3.3k views