Best programming languages for electrical engineers

The modern electrical engineer isn't limited to circuits. The modern tools require electrical engineers to have knowledge of programming languages as well. I compiled a list of the best programming languages an electrical engineer can learn.

It appears that the most traditional, structured programming language 'C' rules. But the most common opinion seems to be the knowledge of assemblers. If you have know the knowledge of Assembly language, you can always shift to C++, JAVA, C#, J# and other tools like MATLAB easily.

Few of the electrical engineers have favored VHDL and/or Verilog, which are the hardware description languages.

'Ada' is used mostly in avionics and safety-critical industries. I request electrical engineering folks here to share their feedback here 😀

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    i think it is SPICE and E-SPICE. i just glanced at those books in the electrical section of my college library.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In 1982 my brother in law sent my kids a Sinclair spectrum (all of 16 kB ram) from England. If I remember right it ran a 1 kb programme written by Bill Gates in GWBasic(?) showing a moving landscape as seen by a low flying observer. I myself had written programmes to create complex pin and thread pictures in multicolour using prime numbers on the spectrum.

While the newly available coplex tools are a major help, a lot depends on the user.
  • Guru Karthik
    Guru Karthik
    you can include scripting languages like Tcl, Perl, Python, Shell etc. Often expected skills these days.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    For electrical engineers PLC and SCADA can be very effective as in automation industries control system is being used and engineer with knowledge of these two can surely make space in such company.
    PLC and SCADA are quite similar to embedded system.
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    i think Matlab and Embedded C are required in this field....because many projects can only be completed if u know microcontrollers which in turn can be learn under Embedded C...
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Today Electrical Systems have Electronics involve too, I personally Labview by National Instruments is one of the best available as it provide Synchronisation,control,Acquire & reporting
  • RohanVerma
    RohanVerma
    According to me METLAB and Embedded C are Basics for Electrical Engineers.Embedded C is good to learn microcontroller.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I am a java and android developer i am planning to give a seminar in my organisation, can any one help me with some good, new and challenging topic...
hi guys Is there any difference between IT, computer science and engineering and software engineering ?
I am writing my final year project on the topic DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF A REMOTE CONTROLLED INVERTER SYSTEMS(500W). I am seeeking help on this topic firstly in the form...
Name:AYUSH KUMAR Engineering Trade:MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Location😛ATNA Occupation: STUDENT Work Experience: Hobbies & Interests: NET SURFING AND CREATING NEW THINGS Aim in life: TO BE A MECHANICAL ENGINEER.... I joined CrazyEngineers...
Hi.. I'm an industrial engineer and I want to kno the MS courses those an industrial engineer is most likely to choose.. The fields that are open for an industrial...