Best motor for electric racecar - How to select?

Which type of motor is best suited to be used in a formula student electric racecar ?

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Please explain what are your selection factors (max loads, torque desired, etc.). I am sure there are motors capable of going up to 20000 rpm available in production hybrid and purely electric cars. I am not sure if I am suggesting you on the correct lines (if you are asking about the exact motor name/power rating,etc., I wouldn't know). But it should help to know what selection you ultimately make.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    i am asking about the type of motor to be used i.e BLDC or PMSM or others. My motto would be to maximize performance
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Oops. I would know nothing about that. Tag some electrical engineers, if you know any on CE.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    no , i wont know anyone
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    btw , thanx for your concern
  • lal
    lal
    A Brushless DC motor and a Permanent Magnet Synchronous motor are quite the same. They work the same way and are controlled the same way too.

BLDC motors are extremely felxible and precise. A racecar, I guess, would be needing a motor that can deliver great torque at low speeds and high power at higher speeds. Coupling with a well designed gear box would be an added advantage.

I have no previous experience with electric automotives. This is an interesting project you have undertaken. Do keep us updated with the progress.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# might be of some help.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Upcoming Events on Design in India: 1. UX India 2014 Conference, 7 -9 October 2014, Bangalore https://2014.ux-india.org/ 2. Workshop: Illustration for Fashion Design 8-10, October 2014, NID Ahmedabad Download 1...
https://www.embedded-know-how.com/chips-a-components/article/43-chips-components/1554#1784
Which type of motor is best suited to be used in a formula student electric racecar ?
I am a B.E(CSE) on 2013..i want to start my career as a php developer in kolkata..what is php career growth i can get in IT sector...after 1 or 2...
few of us are already aware of IPython and notebook. Its basically an interactive web-interface. Sadly, I came to know about it very recently though the software has been around...