Best foreign language for computer science student

As a computer scientist, learning a foreign language can be beneficial for various reasons, such as expanding your career opportunities, collaborating with international teams, or accessing resources and research in different languages.

While there isn't a single "best" foreign language for computer science, several languages are commonly recommended for their usefulness in the field. Here are a few options to consider:

1. English: English is the lingua franca of the technology industry and is widely used in documentation, programming languages, research papers, and online resources. Having a strong command of English is almost essential for any computer scientist.

2. Japanese: Japan is renowned for its advancements in technology and computer science. Learning Japanese can be advantageous if you're interested in working with Japanese companies or exploring research collaborations in fields like robotics, artificial intelligence, or gaming.

3. German: Germany has a strong presence in the tech industry, with many notable software and engineering companies. German proficiency can open up opportunities for jobs, internships, or research positions in Germany or other German-speaking countries.

4. Chinese (Mandarin): China has a rapidly growing technology sector and is known for its hardware manufacturing, e-commerce, and software development. Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in China, so learning it can be valuable for networking, collaboration, and accessing Chinese tech resources.

5. Spanish: Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and has a significant presence in the technology industry. It can be particularly beneficial for engaging with the growing tech communities in Spanish-speaking countries, such as Spain, Mexico, or Argentina.

Ultimately, the choice of a foreign language should depend on your personal goals, interests, and the regions or companies you wish to engage with.

It's also worth noting that proficiency in any foreign language can be advantageous in computer science, as it demonstrates your ability to learn and adapt to new challenges.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    surbhi bakshi
    Well I'm in my second year of computer science engineering and i want to learn foreign language. Which 1 is best of all for future prospects?
    English, is the best foreign language that every computer science engineer should learn.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    Oth
    The_Big_K
    English, is the best foreign language that every computer science engineer should learn.
    The_Big_K
    yea english is most important of all languages but students go for languages like german, french etc!
    which 1 is most productive of all!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Spanish. It is spoken in many countries. ๐Ÿ˜€

Also it depends on your interest. For example I think a mechanical engineer should learn either German or a European language.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    as i mentioned i'm a computer science student, and best in job prospects in my field. plus, no particular interest YET in any particular language!๐Ÿ˜‰
    Issue
    Spanish. It is spoken in many countries. ๐Ÿ˜€

Also it depends on your interest. For example I think a mechanical engineer should learn either German or a European langage.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    surbhi bakshi
    as i mentioned i'm a computer science student, and best in job prospects in my field. plus, no particular interest YET in any particular language!๐Ÿ˜‰
    Well, there is no ONE language and there will always be arguments for and against the foreign language one should learn. But the main problem with learning a language is that one must keep on practicing it else it's forgotten easily. I'd strongly recommend learning any language of your choice which you think you should learn. Don't connect it to employment. Because it will take away the whole happiness in learning a new language.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    One more thing, if you want to learn a foreign language, then learn its basics and watch related Youtube videos, movies in that language or informative videos related to your interest. It is the best way that you will develop interest in your chosen language.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    Ohk it depends on me what language I prefer to study. So what're the languages that could be an optionz
    ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    surbhi bakshi
    Ohk it depends on me what language I prefer to study. So what're the languages that could be an optionz
    ?
    ๐Ÿ˜จ How'd we know what language you want to learn? Your choices are unlimited - German, French, Japanese, Hebrew, Russian, ...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    surbhi bakshi
    ?
    #fail

Being a computer science student & learning foreign languages are not really related things.
    As a CS Student, you should concentrate on languages like PHP, Java, Python, C# etc..

Learning Foreign Languages is completely a personal choice.
  • manishks
    manishks
    let it be any language...but english is one global languge..english is spoken in silicon valley...in banglore..in europe......every cse student should learn english..
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    It doesnt matter what you choose, you are gonna learn it for a semester, get a good grade, and then you will forget it. So, talk to your seniors and choose the easiest one.....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    English please, with proper grammar and punctuation! ๐Ÿ‘

There are many foreign languages you can chose from.
    If you are looking at it from placement point of view, then find out companies that come for recruitment in your college and see the demand of foreign languages in these companies.

Some companies do have a foreign language as a criteria to be eligible for the placement procedure.

So find out from your seniors or TPO about the companies.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    surbhi bakshi
    Oth

yea english is most important of all languages but students go for languages like german, french etc!
    which 1 is most productive of all!
    French... Relatively easy!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    It's my view
    English is enough with programming expertise in any of a particular domain
    ASP.NET , Oracle 10g or later , PhP and other languages is enough

People can communicate using these even if they do not know a local language for starters
    They can work in a team successfully
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I see that a lot of students are landing up here by searching for the same question - best foreign language for computer science engineers. Well, the question has been well answered here, but here are my two cents after all these years of experience.
    Learn a foreign language because you want to. The best years are when you are still in school or college. As, you will have considerable amount of time to cover all the basics and practice. By the time you graduate, you have at least 1 or 2 certifications in that particular language.
    Now, since you can highlight that part on your resume, you will have something that not all your fellow candidates have when you apply for a job.

Since the whole point of this discussion, is fetching a good job that goes along with your programming skills and the foreign language, above is the best course of action you can take.

Do understand that, when you apply to MNCs, you will have a chance to select a project whose client are in a foreign country (and if you know their language, chances of you getting selected there will be much higher.)

Alternatively, when you dedicate 1-2 years of your study time to a particular foreign language, searching jobs that are related to it with your technical background become much easy. I know a lot of people who are engineers be degree, but didnt have a job, and upon learning the foreign language got placed in Google and Amazon with really great salary packages.

Sky is the limit for the opportunities that come knocking at your door if you learn a new thing religiously and can exhibit proficiency in it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What characteristic do these three 12-digit numbers share with each other, but with no other 12-digit number? A.100307124369 B.111824028801 C.433800063225
in what creativ way can we use gps in order to do a creative project based on gps and gis ?? thank u ๐Ÿ˜
I'm currently in my 4th semester and i want to appear for GATE after I complete my engineering. I want to prepare from now bcoz it's always good to be...
Tata Nano starter motors are being replaced by the company free of cost. The company claims that the whole replacement activity is done proactively to offer improved Nano performance to...
I'm wondering whether we can compile a list of places where you have a high chance of meeting your startup co-founder. I believe the best place is your college where...