Beam Discussion

There is a thread about Foundation which is very important for us civil engineers.
Beams is also important in building construction. I don't have much more idea about beams so by this thread I can improve my knowledge and also other CEans.
Let's start the ball rolling!!!

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    What is the difference of beams used in buildings and bridges???
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Another question what's the purpose of putting a roller at one end of the beam???
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Stresses in beams:
    * Compressive stress
    * Tensile stress
    *Shear Stress
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    [​IMG]
  • Anant Jalgaonkar
    Anant Jalgaonkar
    maria flor
    Beams are horizontal structural members which are capable of taking Bending. Now bending stresses comes from imposed loads, self weight and reactions. Where ever these forces are there and there is an structural element resisting it we call it a "Beam" irrespective of whether it is of Building structure or Bridge Structure. Type of loading are definitely different in both the cases, so, their cross sections are also different. Hope this helps!!!
  • @n@nd
    @n@nd
    maria flor
    Another question what's the purpose of putting a roller at one end of the beam???
    rollers are used at the ends of the beams, mostly in bridges because it allows the structure to expand and contract with temperature changes. if the ends are locked at the ends, then during expansion, there can be formation of cracks. the rollers are designed in such a way that there is only limited amount of lateral movement due to expansion. in any structure as such, there will be lateral forces acting. if they are high, it causes damage. so there will be other types of support along with rollers.
  • Vengalam Raghu
    Vengalam Raghu
    maria flor
    to give a chance for the beam to slide on it when expanded or contracted due to temparature😀
  • Vengalam Raghu
    Vengalam Raghu
    maria flor
    fixed beams ,cantileaver beams,over hanging beams,contineos beams
  • Vengalam Raghu
    Vengalam Raghu
    may i know what is the use of finding the shear force in beams...😐
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Vengalam Raghu
    may i know what is the use of finding the shear force in beams...😐
    you can use it for RCD design.. shear force in beams is used for designing the stirrups for beams
  • Vengalam Raghu
    Vengalam Raghu
    bending moment is there na ....if a beam is according to bending moment diagram is there any need to follow shear force diagram, i need clear information about it 😨 please give in detail.......
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    maria flor
    shear force in beams is used for designing the stirrups for beams
    Shear force can cause specific diagonal cracks near the beam supports. That's why we put stirrups 😀 For the short beams the shear force is critical.
  • mohsin8561
    mohsin8561
    first of all you know the definition of shear force
    shera force is the unbalanced verticle force acting left or right of the section
    due to this the failure accure & maximum bending moment will produce
    so necessary steel applied in the sides/section of beams
    and curtelment or confining reinforcement is applied for bottom of beam for bending moments

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've seen it recently. The governments have a Internet Switch which they can turn on or off according to their will. Especially in emergency time, government can take control of...
Red Quanta is Mumbai, India based startup that is trying out mystry shopping in India. I'm new to the concept and found out following information about mystry shopping from RQ's...
Value - An Inspiring Lesson! Just wanted to share!! Enjoy!!😛 [video=youtube;T_Hb3wyauPg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Hb3wyauPg[/video]
For me, one of the most important criteria while buying an electronic gadget (phone, audio player, video player, camera) is its battery life. Now a days, mobile phones serve all...
We have a detailed post on VoiCE that covers what's new in Internet Explorer 9. I've been using it as my primary browser on my desktop and laptop, however, the...