Bcrypt For Password Storage - Why Is It Better?

The official description of Bcrypt Password Storage reads - "There are two kinds of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from reading your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files. This book is about the latter." -- Preface to Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier.

Can someone talk about how Bcrypt does the job differently and why is it slower?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Until 5 days ago, everything was cool. I was able to access my gmail account from Android gmail application. Recently, I thought I need to make my account more secure.So,...
There were days when Internet used to be a lot simpler. There would be web pages and simple email services that would let you in after you entered your username...
Last year's Computex event was preceded by the video teasers. ASUS left no stone unturned in making sure that we all get goosebumps by seeing the trailer to the event....
An Anonymous contributor to Windows NT Kernel wrote a fantastic & honest reply acknowledging this problem & reason behind this. I am quoting some of his reply which I found...
What is the difference between static and stagnation properties involved in any thermodynamic cycle ? for example , what is meant by static pressure and stagnation pressure ?