basic guidance please

i have studied C programming language and asked a programmer where should i go from here. he said there are two fields
i.e: 1) software development in desktop environment using GTK+ or KDE
2) web development with mysql and javascript
i wish to learn how to develop advance web sites can you please give me some guidance as to where to start.
thank you very much.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    You can start from HTML, thats the basic and then you can go for Javascript, PHP, Mysql, .Net etc.
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Hi Deitel,

For software development for sure linux environment is kool!! you can use both GNOME or KDE both works great ๐Ÿ˜‰

and for web development I guess you have to start from HTML (you would have learn t it for sure in your school, so just refresh your concepts) and then go for CSS and javascripts. The reason being according to my experience in web development, what ever website you take it is spitted apart into 3 layers:

1st layer -> documentation layer (done using HTML)
    2nd layer -> presentation layer (done using CSS)
    3rd layer -> behavior layer (done using javascript)

If you want any help please feel free to ask buddy ๐Ÿ˜€

-Arvind
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Dietel,

Please ignore what Arvind has said in the above post, his intent is good, but content is bad ๐Ÿ˜› (sorry Arvind, I am not being too harsh, am I?). Forget about the layers thing, we will come across multi-tiered architectures later on.

First thing you need to learn, now that you can write code in C is -
    1. Classes, functions, how to modularize your code
    2. Ideally, I would want you to learn C++ because then you will get familiarized with OOP (object oriented programming) and its basics. Some of the complex sites you see (like this forum) are actually based on OOP concepts (think about it, it makes sense!)
    3. Remember, programming is not about the syntax, but about writing logic. Before you set out to write any program, be crystal clear of what you want to do. Understand algorithms and how to write them. (for e.g. can you write an algo to sort an array of numbers? I know its simple, but can you put it down on a piece of paper please? Not the code, just the logic ... even in plain english (or hindi for that matter))
    4. Once you have your OOP concepts in place, then you start working on the storage part (databases, SQL, simple basics to start with - highly recommend Korth here)
    5. Now learn HTML (do not go too deep into this, it can be a rabbithole and you will end up getting lost in it, just skim the basics)
    6. Take up PHP and in tandem MySQL (both the pdfs are freely available and the documentation is some 2000 pages, readable in 2 weeks if you put your heart to it)
    7. Take a pet project - lets say customizing your own blog on WP with a custom theme.
    8. Remember to have fun coding ๐Ÿ˜€
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    @kidakaka: Dude thats the general structure of a webpage on front end part alone , I dint refer to any multi tier architecture anywhere did I (please do not mis guide people man) when you say it is multi tier architecture then it will have front-end (user interface) , middle tier (processing) , back-end (databases) and for that you can go for learning MVC (model, view controller) approach.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Arvind,
    That's why I said, lets not get into this discussion at this early stage. However, if you would like to discuss this in more detail, do IM me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey i am abhishek singhal in 3rd year and i have to make mini project and then major project on very latest topics of electronics branch so any one can...
hi, I am second year student in IIT Bombay and doing my Btech in civil engineering. i wanna do training abroad in any field. Where i can apply any suggestion?
This thread is dedicated to all first...first arch bridge, first concrete highway, first steel bridge.....๐Ÿ˜€
I'm wondering how important it is for the country's President, Prime Minister and other top officials to be computer literate - being able to check and respond to email, use...
Currently I am working on Air Cooler P&ID. Here are the details of the air cooler: Its a forced draft, single bay, 2 fan/bay cooler. The propane vapor enters at...