Basic Electronics Part_II: Resitors

Basic Electronics: Part 2

Resistors

1. Its a electronic or electrical device that resist the flow of elctrons through the device.

2. They are passive devices that is they have no source of power or amplification but it attenuates the voltage or current signal passing through them.

3. Because of this attenuation the electrical energy is lost in the form of heat as the resistor resist the flow of electrons .

4. Most of the resistors are linear devices and obeys ohms law.

5. They are represented by the zig-zag line. Its unit is Ohm.(Ω)

[​IMG]

6. Some important characteristics of resistors: temperature coefficient, voltage coeffcient, noise, frequency response, power, temperature rating, physical size and realibility.

Applications :

1. Used in amplifiers as load for active devices, and as feedback elements.

2. When used along with capacitors, they establish time constant and are used as filters. Helpful in setting operating point and signal levels.

3. In radio frequency circuiuts, they are used as coils in the form of inductors.

4. In logic circuits they are use as bus and line terminators. They are also used as pull-up and pull-down resistors.

Types of resistors

Based on the mode of operation they are classified into two types

1. Fixed point

2. Variable resisters.

1. Fixed point:

· They have only one single value of resistor associated with it.

· They are further divided based on the type of material used for it such as metal wound, wire wound, carbon composition resistors.

Colour coding in resistors.

To indicate the value of resistors this type of colour coding is used. This is done because the size of the resistor is so very small to write its value on it.

There are four bands into it.

Value of resistors is calculated from left till right.

Digit, digit, multiplier= colour , colour×10colour(Ω)

=4,7,103 =47000 Ω

Thus here, the valure of resistor will be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clue to remember this colour code:

Bright (black)

Boys (brown)

Rave (red)

Over (orange)

Young (yellow)

Girls (green)

But (blue)

Veto (violet)

Gets (grey)

wed. (white)

2. Variable Resistors:

Here the resistance can be adjusted while it is in connection with the circuit.they usually have three leads, two of them are fixed and one is variable. If contacts are made to only two leads then it is called as a rheostat. If all the three contacts are employed then it is called as potentiometer.

Replies

• Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    they r jus basics ,,evryone knows here about this , can u come with components like opamp their working transducer and all
  • Kaustubh
    Kaustubh
    can u post about non linear resistor, its design and applications?

how can one design a variable electronic load in a simplified manner??
    this was a part of the problem statement for my graduate project...I partly completed it....I would be thankful if i get some suggestions.
  • themask
    themask
    Helpful for a newbie to electronics. Keep going ...
    Thanks
  • Prajakta Kelapure
    Prajakta Kelapure
    Ankit Litoriya
    they r jus basics ,,evryone knows here about this , can u come with components like opamp their working transducer and all
    yes ,sure... I am working on it... but thought to start with basics and then with actual electronics components...
  • themask
    themask
    Prajakta Kelapure
    yes ,sure... I am working on it... but thought to start with basics and then with actual electronics components...
    Yes you are right, starting with the basis like this will be helpful for a newbie like me.
  • Prajakta Kelapure
    Prajakta Kelapure
    Kaustubh
    can u post about non linear resistor, its design and applications?

how can one design a variable electronic load in a simplified manner??
    this was a part of the problem statement for my graduate project...I partly completed it....I would be thankful if i get some suggestions.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I hope this link may help you .
  • themask
    themask
    The images are missing and cannot be seen.
    could you please correct that ?
  • Prajakta Kelapure
    Prajakta Kelapure
    themask
    The images are missing and cannot be seen.
    could you please correct that ?
    hii,
    So only I have attached the file. It consist of images also.
  • themask
    themask
    thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Imagine yourself being tired of the scorching summer heat and eager for the pleasant experience of the first rain. What if you were told that all you need to do...
I have no clue if any of these is useful. Quote: Boost the chances of finding a lost phone, and sleep better starting tonight, with 10 life-changing lifehacks you can...
Mode, a start-up launched last year, raised $2 million as venture capital with an aim to create a GitHub like service for data scientists and analysts. To prevent the re-analysis...
Just found this during a random surf on the Internet, and I think it's quite awesome!
I have appeared final year exams of B.E.I want to know short term courses that I can do.