Basic electronics doubt: What is a bipolar device?

what is a bipolar device?
i know that conduction is due to two types of charges but how both + & - can be responsible..i feel that there is some contradiction...one relies on the other.they are inseparable..then how? can u understand my doubt? please clear

Replies

• skipper
    skipper
    It's called a bipolar device because there are two kinds of differently polarized material elements in the device.
    A bipolar transistor has two main sections which are n-type or p-type semiconductors. A third section is the base which straddles the two main sections. The idea is that the bipolarity is a kind of "stretch" in a membrane (made of charge) which biasing the device changes the size of.

When a transistor (or a diode) is biased and the bias oscillates, the charge "stretches" and "compresses" inside the device (actually across the junction called the depletion region). This is like stretching and relaxing an elastic membrane, any "particles" on it will bounce around.

So that, forward-bias gives electrons a kick in a certain direction; if they're in the +ve section of the device they see either a +ve boost (so they stay put) or a -ve boost (which repels them). The base in a transistor "injects" electrons as a signal, which the forward bias "carries". Hence, carrier + signal carried.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Please refrain yourself from posting this link on all the threads.

Mods, please check this.
  • jvivin1990
    jvivin1990
    crazyboy
    Please refrain yourself from posting this link on all the threads.

Mods, please check this.
    No i dint ! where it is? check out the name who is posting it.. then post your comments
  • Sriman44
    Sriman44
    the name "Bipolar" device says about it ..
    bi-two polar device..
    means two polar device + and - are two polars
  • kelliew
    kelliew
    www.thereviews.in, Specifications of Bikes, Cars, Laptops, Netbooks, and latest Gadgets for your buying decision.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    hey mod check this link.........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there an ethical difference between browsing through someone’s computer files and browsing through someone's desk drawer?
Many more Happy returns of the day dileep. Enjoy your Birthday. 😁😁😁😁😁
hello friend i have a pen drive which not working i did not understand what to do i have some impoetnt document i n it my laptop does read the...
view the attached image ...and express your ideas ^_^
Name: Karthick Kanagalingam *Engineering Trade: Electroncis Engineering Location: Toronto Ontario, Canada!