Basic difference between current and voltage

can any body explain the diffrence b/w current and voltage and also there different practicle significance?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Such an elementary question, whose answer can easily be obtained from textbooks.
    If you don't like opening books, then you can simply google it.
    Anyways, check this link : Current vs Voltage - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Note : DO search in CE itself, before asking. It might help us to avoid duplicate threads 👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - That's a very basic question to discuss on CrazyEngineers. Any basic electrical engineering book or textbook should clearly give you an answer. But it's still a valid question that should be answered. Why don't you tell us what you understand by the terms current and voltage?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    yogi.bharadwaj
    can any body explain the diffrence b/w current and voltage and also there different practicle significance?
    I am rather mystified at this from an E&C person.
    May be a water tank analogy can help. Consider an overhead water tank and a tap connected to it that is open. Water is flowing out.
    The height of the water tank above the tap represents the water pressure this is analogous to Voltage which is an electric level.
    The amount of water flowing (litres per sec) represents the current, which is the number of charges flowing through the wire for unit time.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - That's a very basic question to discuss on CrazyEngineers. Any basic electrical engineering book or textbook should clearly give you an answer. But it's still a valid question that should be answered. Why don't you tell us what you understand by the terms current and voltage?
    everybody says current is erffect and voltage is cause but in many systems where we can see ratings its different and every device requires a specific charaterstic.for eg. if we increase current then voltage drops down and if we increase voltage then current drops down by use of steblizers or other.But why this happened i don;t understand.is there a device which increase or decrease them equally?
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    A.V.Ramani
    I am rather mystified at this from an E&C person.
    May be a water tank analogy can help. Consider an overhead water tank and a tap connected to it that is open. Water is flowing out.
    The height of the water tank above the tap represents the water pressure this is analogous to Voltage which is an electric level.
    The amount of water flowing (litres per sec) represents the current, which is the number of charges flowing through the wire for unit time.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    yes its right but why different ratings for both and why one goes down when other increases?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am sure that you have learnt the Ohm's Law.
    In any power supply there is an open circuit voltage and a current rating. The source itself has an impedance. When a current is drawn from it there is an internal voltage drop which reduces the out put voltage. In stabilised circuits this is sensed and compensated by active circuits.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    thats right but can we differenciate the current and voltage in a source just like impurities from a material.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I am afraid that this is not the platform for such a fundamental discussion.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Ohm's Law - The basics - Ohms Law Formulas Explained to save you time

#-Link-Snipped-#

I bow out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Found a good image of Linux Kernel mapping in one post of Google+, forgot to copy the link (apologies for that) ​👍
About 40% of the heat energy is wasted in exhaust gas emitted by automobiles. In this project i am making attempt to recover exhaust heat energy by using shape memory...
So a few days ago, we asked all our members whether the site was loading slower for all of you and almost everyone said yes. Upon inspection, I discovered that...
Curious to know whether 4K displays always have a higher pixel density than the regular 1080p? If the sizes of the display are to be kept fixed, say 55"; is...
My class wil have a presentation discuss about the best software simulation. We discuss between two software those are ORCAD/PSPICE and MULTISIM. My group've chosen ORCAD/PSPICE software. So, Could you...