basic confusions

in case of ac ( 3 phase) three lines come from the generation site and neutral wire is not present. we just make a connection with any of these wire , apply it to a device , consider led and apply any ground even the earth itself act as ground, the led turns on but when you connect led to positive terminal of battery and other end to the ground it will not lighten. it will only turn on when the other leg of led is connected to the negative of the same battery.
Q)why is it so??????
for ac the charge moves from live wire passes through the led and into the ground thus led turns on.
the same should be the case with dc, charge from positive should pass through led and into the ground but led doesn't turn on.Why????

Replies

• Ali.imran
    Ali.imran
    ii
    to make my questions clear i have uploaded this simulation.
    in fig b for both cases charge moves or should move from positive terminal and eventually should reach ground or negative terminal (just like in fig a )but the led remains off.
    Q)why is it so??????
  • Ali.imran
    Ali.imran
    ii
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Really Interesting question. Anyone here to clear this?
  • Ali.imran
    Ali.imran
    WELL???
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is simple. Battery is an isolated (floating) power source. Ultimately the charge leaving the battery has to return to the other terminal. Otherwise the circuit is not closed. The AC generator on the other hand, is ground referenced at the point of generation. If you connect a voltmeter between the line and ground it will show full line voltage. If you try a similar exercise with a battery the meter will show zero showing that there is no potential difference between the battery and ground. Current flow requires a potential difference. So the LED remains off.
    However, If you ground the other terminal of the battery then you can light the LED by connecting between ground and the other ungrounded terminal maintaining correct polarity.
  • Ali.imran
    Ali.imran
    thanks bioramani.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the difference between matlab and labview?
After the amazing success of Angry Bird, Rovio is coming up with another game and this time it would be based on the concept of physics. With at the game's...
Facebook recently launched a feature that allows user to lock their FB aascount and perform virus, malware check if user suspects that their computer are infected. The motive is to...
Hi!!! I am Sara Rengifo. I am from Colombia. I have been in USA for two years. I have been studying English during this time. At the moment I am...
Oracle had acquired Involver; a social marketing firm. This is Oracle's third deal in three months in socail marketing area. In may they bought Virtue - a social media engagement...