Bacteria Driven Solar Panels Emerge As A Promising Source Of Renewable Energy

Most of us have heard of the Lactobacillus bacteria which helps in the preparation of Yogurt, cheese and pickles. However, with the recent advancements in solar power driven energy sources, humans have succeeded in utilising bacteria to power up solar cells. For the first time, a research team from the Binghamton University has connected nine biological-solar cells into a bio-solar panel in order to trigger maximum power generation from a small scale bio solar cell, measuring 5.59 microwatts.

biological_solarcell
bio-solar cells connected into a bio-solar panel

The latest research describes a novel way of using the well-known Cyanobacteria, as a potential source of renewable clean energy. The team engineered a 3X3 micro level bio solar panel with the help of nine-unit bio solar cells having a common microfluidic channel. The panel, with the help of Cyanobacterial photosynthesis and respiratory activities, could generate constant electricity enough in magnitude to power small, telemetry systems. Seokheun "Sean" Choi, an assistant professor and an author of the detailed scientific paper is hopeful that their research will be beneficial to small systems and emerge as a supportive power generation technology.

Although, the new idea has responded as a self-sustaining method, it cannot appear as a mainstream source just yet. Whereas a conventional solar panel of 6x12 configuration could generate 200 watts of electrical power, the new 3x3 solar cell could only generate 0.00003726 watts. This establishes the promising prospects of the method which has to be developed further, for practical implementation. The complete research report will be published in hard copy in the July issue of the Science and Actuators B: Chemical journal.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

All the contestants selected for Round II of the 'Hunt for India's Best Academic Project' Contest have to create a video presentation and upload it on YouTube. NOTE: You may...
Hi, I recently learnt that a linear queue can be implemented by using two stacks. Can anyone elaborate on this? I basically require the implementation details in terms of pseudo...
Hi, I came across an article that it is in the data link layer of OSI model that the "router configuration problem" resides. Is this statement true in the first...
recently i am working on asp.net and now i am moving towards WCF to make application faster using jquery,ajax and json am i going right ? i want to know...
Based out of Dwarka, The Testament is that rare startup which doesn't have big-shot IITians on its founding team, that grew without funding, which thrives by floating around inspiring stories...