Avoid Landing Page Redirects On Wordpress For Google PageSpeed Improvement

If you have taken a Google PageSpeed test recently and haven't got a good result, chances are that Google gave you a suggestion about Avoiding Landing Page Redirects. Well, for starters, Google points you to this remedy if you have more than one redirect from the given url to the final landing page.

It will say something on these lines -

To speed up page load times for visitors of your site, remove as many landing page redirections as possible, and make any required redirections cacheable if possible. #-Link-Snipped-# is a non-cacheable redirect to #-Link-Snipped-#.

What does that mean?
Redirects generally trigger an additional HTTP request-response cycle and add extra round-trip-time latency, it's important to minimize the number of redirects issued by your application. Avoiding HTTP redirects can reduce the amount of time a user waits for a page to load.
We agree that in some cases redirects are absolutely necessary, but if you are willing to improve your site performance, there's something you can do to fix the issue.

If your site absolutely requires redirects, you must do both of the following: Use a HTTP redirect to send users with mobile user agents directly to the mobile equivalent URL without any intermediate redirects, and Include the markup in your desktop pages to identify the mobile equivalent URL so Googlebot can discover your mobile pages.

Another thing that you can do is put a trailing slash at the end of your URLs.

For example If you go to #-Link-Snipped-#
it will redirect you to #-Link-Snipped-#

If there is no trailing slash, the server has to bear the overhead of adding it in response to the 301 redirect. Therefore it is a good practice to add a trailing slash at the end of your URLs so as to reduce the burden on the server.

I hope this helps.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here is something else I learnt -

Many pages, especially mobile pages, redirect users to a different URL.
    For example -
    #-Link-Snipped-# to m.abc.com.
    Making this redirect cacheable by the user's browser can speed up page load times for repeat visitors to a site.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It is a day to rejoice for the Harley Davidson fans, because the US based company has launched its new generation Street Glide in India. Priced at Rs. 29 lakh...
Actually I want to publish a research paper. But i m confused that whether the idea initiated by me is already published or not.So is there any software to check...
Hi CEans , I had noticed that most people are not wearing helmet while driving and I see a lot of people just buy a low class or low priced...
Hi CEans , Here is a chance for us to unite to analyze the causes which may lead to accidents of the automobiles . We should list out the possible...
Hi CEans, I had planned to do my project in Brakes India and I want to know what can be my best project. Here are some details that may help...