Automobile with in high elevation

why do automobile suffer power loss with increase i n altitude???

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Oxygen levels are less and the temperature is lower. Both cause problems with the engine performance.
  • roon.mech
    roon.mech
    Khartz Di
    why do automobile suffer power loss with increase i n altitude???
    hello khartz

Your hp depends upon the density of air in the combustion chamber. so an altitude/temperature rule applies only to naturally aspirated engines.

rule of thumb is for every 1000ft in elevation wt of air drops by 3%
    and for every 6 deg increase in temp wt of air drops by 1%

that's because when temperatures increase then the volume of the fluid (air) increases with a decrease in its density
    which means hp is going to be affected negatively.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Bioramani sir and roon.mech said it.

Secondly, when a vehicle climbs a slope, then something called the gradient resistance comes into play. it is the resistance offered to the motion of the vehicle by virtue of the angle of slope of the hill. In order to overcome this resistance, more engine torque is required, which consumes more fuel.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    roon.mech
    when temperatures increase then the volume of the fluid (air) increases with a decrease in its density
    which means hp is going to be affected negatively.
    when the air gets hotter, it loses its density and can not expand as much during the explosion. this means that it can't create as much power when it's ignited by the spark plug.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    sweet_honey
    when the air gets hotter, it loses its density and can not expand as much during the explosion. this means that it can't create as much power when it's ignited by the spark plug.
    Air does reduce in density. However, what this means is that when it enters the cylinder the initial pressure is less so at the end of compression the compressed pressure and the actual amount of fuel is less. This results in less power output.
  • roon.mech
    roon.mech
    bioramani
    Air does reduce in density. However, what this means is that when it enters the cylinder the initial pressure is less so at the end of compression the compressed pressure and the actual amount of fuel is less. This results in less power output.
    im not familiar with combustion principles but this made me think as to what would happen if instead of air which contains a mixture of gases, pure oxygen is fed into the combustion chamber (assuming this is a diesel engine). would that multiply its power output?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Whatever the fuel, using pure oxygen (with appropriate fuel ratio) will give more power from the same sized chamber.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Isnt it interesting how elements we use gets stronger and last longer as we apply dimensions to it .Would it be stonger choosing an element that was inspected 4 dimensionally?...
Hi, Is anyone know's how to convert C# to Matalb? but automatically... Thanks,
Patent infringement suit war is spreading the wings. Per Latest new, Motorola-Google’s had all the plans to filed a patent suit against Apple seeking for import ban of all major...
Since School Days, I never liked Monday, as I have to go to school after Sunday 😁 With my job love for Monday almost vanished... 😏 Today, I was reading...
I'm planning to do projects in inverters, so i want to clearly understand multilevel inverters and its advantages over ordinary conventional inverters.