Authenticate Internet users online: DoT

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has directed all telecom service providers to implement an online centralized authentication procedure for Internet subscribers. According to DoT, all Internet and broadband subscribers using Wi-Fi connectivity would need to get themselves registered with the respective telecom service providers for completing the centralized authentication procedure within 60 days.

As reported by Business Standard, there were about 14 million Internet subscribers and 6.62 million broadband subscribers at the end of June 2009, according to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). Earlier in February, DoT had also raised concerns that Wi-Fi networks were being misused by anti-social elements. Wi-Fi enables user to access internet without any physical connection and the network has a range of 120-300 feet. Wi-Fi is a class of wireless local area network (WLAN) devices based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. Currently, a Wi-Fi device is installed in various personal computers, video game consoles, smartphones and laptops.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I'am trying to build a single PCB that can drive multiple voltages and eliminate the need for several power adapters on the one hand, on the other I'am also...
In India & Brazil, Orkut is one of the most popular social networks. However, growing popularity of world's #1 social network Facebook is giving Orkut sleepless nights. Orkut has decided...
using mobiles services
While a man was polishing his new car, his 4 yr old son picked up stone and scratched lines on the side of the car. In anger, the man took...
hey there guys. I need some help urgently. using the setup of the PIC i have attached to this thread can someone please help me with the following: I want...