Attend Business Conferences - Why & How?

Posting this on behalf of #-Link-Snipped-# , the author of this article.

Yesterday a friend of mine an entrepreneur himself asked me if I would accompany him to attend a conference for which he had a invite. I willingly agreed to accompany him to which he was a little surprised. He said “I was not expecting you to accompany me knowing the hectic schedule you are going through at the moment. What do you think you will really gain”?

I said, I can gain as much as I wish to provided I approach it with a view of gaining something. With clear thinking, open and objective mind and definite agenda set my attendance at the conference, I can ensure my investment in terms of time and money has a definite RoI.

Still thinking why and how? find out your answers right here…

Here are the benefits of attending conferences:

1. Networking : Conference is not only about meeting people. But contacts made in such conferences are good to build your rapport amongst the people in Industry which can be very important while crosschecking credentials of people and organizations when you are taking up big projects.
2. Confluence : Conferences are very important sources for merging of business ideas. Rather than conference they can be deemed as “confluence” of ideas and information. For an entrepreneur such ideas provide a great base upon which he/she can work his project/product ideas further.
3. I and You becomes WE : Conferences are the best places to meet people sailing in same boat. Often you can come across someone who is also facing the same difficulties or crisis. In such a case the other person’s insight can give you a better perspective while dealing with your own situation.
4. The Golden Handshake: Sometimes conferences are perfect settings for forging partnerships. Your meeting with bigger and influential players in your Industry can give you a chance to get opportunity of getting into a tie-up or projects which are outsourced by them. It can open up completely new vistas of business for you.
5. Watchdogs: Many a times seasoned businessmen can help you evaluate your project idea through your acquaintances with them in such conference. Your idea/product can be reviewed and rated by others more objectively. It can also guide you for avoiding the mistakes you might have done inadvertently. Many times we attend conferences without any preparation from our side. We do so equating our participation in a conference to that of attending some social or cultural event. Attending a conference should be treated differently.

Here are 5 action items on how to do this:

1. List what you want to obtain from the conference.
2. Review the agenda of the conference carefully and mark the sessions you want to attend. Note that you don't necessarily have to attend ALL of them.
3. Identify the opportunities for networking / interaction. After you register for the conference, check if you have opportunities to seek time with other fellow delegates / speakers to discuss ideas in smaller groups or 1:1 with conference organizers. Many business conferences provide opportunities for doing this.
4. During lunch and tea breaks, talk to people. Spend more time talking to new people than talking to people you already know and are friends with.
5. Practice a small and crisp introduction of yourself to use to begin your conversation.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We encourage you to attend the TiE Conference: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Finally we receive Ormerod kit from RepRap and we assemble our first 3D Printer. Here are some pics. Time for Ormerod LIVE
I was wondering if it'd be ethical to download a movie to watch it on your phone, laptop or tablet 'after' you've paid your dues - and have watched it...
Australian National University researchers from the School of Physics and Engineering have devised a new method to make atomic force microscope probes 20 times more sensitive by using laser beams...
The downside of large scale concentrated beam solar thermal power generation: Quote: The world's largest solar plant is awesome—unless you're a bird like the one in this image published by...
HealthKartPlus is really nice app to find out the generic medicine for the medicine you are already using. Here is the link for the android app :- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aranoah.healthkart.plus&hl=en Here my...