Your questions, comments, feedback and 'attachment tests' in this thread ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Wohaa !!

Great feature Biggie.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Well, small doubt... "Rolled out" means taken away or brought in??? Many times I had this doubt! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Praveen: Rolled out is commonly used for something that is freshly brought in market. ๐Ÿ˜€
    AbraKaDabra
    @Praveen: Rolled out is commonly used for something that is freshly brought in market. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thankz... Cleared now... ๐Ÿ˜€ What is the opposite of it???
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Its **Roll back**
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mods please try it out!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This is a test document, but to insert a word document I was not able to upload more than 17.5 Kb.
    English-Scared
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This is a test document, but to insert a word document I was not able to upload more than 17.5 Kb.
    Woah!!! Nice one... When is it for other users? What all file types allowed?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AWESOME, however after this facility, now I think we will need greater and smarter task force to save CE from spammers and Virus attacks.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Test Attachment.

Looks good except a few Ui glitches on IE 7.0; i hope it will look better on IE 8 or other browsers. Meanwhile Biggi I guess we are still waiting for a CE-Lord member who can test this feature.. ๐Ÿ˜, wish I would test that as CE-Lord.

-CB
    So what about the file type restrictions and size limitations?
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    It's a good facility provided to the members. I hope the facility is provided to all the members soon. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The file size limitations are yet to be finalized. What do you think should be the ideal size for attachments? [ pictures, documents, pdfs etc.] ?

@Nion: Every member with 10+ posts will have the attachments facility.
    The_Big_K
    The file size limitations are yet to be finalized. What do you think should be the ideal size for attachments? [ pictures, documents, pdfs etc.] ?

@Nion: Every member with 10+ posts will have the attachments facility.
    Two things you need to say... What all will you allow? As people shouldn't misuse the feature to send viruses! Do not allow any binary files... Archives can be allowed but should be approved.

First Question: Where are you going to put the files?
    If your answer is MySQL Server / DataBase Server, then its better you limit it to 256 KB.
    If your answer is File System, limit it to maximum of 2 MB.
    Also, I guess you can limit the max num of attachments in a single post. Like, only 3 attachments per post, making it to have 768 KB or 6 MB.

Second Question: What all will be the possible reasons?
    You can either allow people to send some screenshots for showcasing or trouble shooting. In that sense, we can have the most used formats: PNG, JPG, GIF. Its smaller and efficient and also good quality.
    Documents: TXT, PDF (???), DOC (Risk Factor).

What do you say biggie?
    PS: Are you done with your gym?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    1. The files will be store in the cloud.
    2. Only common file types will be allowed, like .jpg, .png, .gif, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf etc.
    The_Big_K
    1. The files will be store in the cloud.
    2. Only common file types will be allowed, like .jpg, .png, .gif, .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf etc.
    Hey wow! If that's stored in cloud, then size is not a limit na?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    Hey wow! If that's stored in cloud, then size is not a limit na?
    There will be a limit to the size of attachment that can be uploaded and also total attachment quota. We don't want anyone to abuse the facility and the system.
    The_Big_K
    There will be a limit to the size of attachment that can be uploaded and also total attachment quota. We don't want anyone to abuse the facility and the system.
    What is the bandwidth limitation of the cloud per month?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Since we use CDN, we get 1 TB to consume over 1 year time.
    The_Big_K
    Since we use CDN, we get 1 TB to consume over 1 year time.
    Isn't it calculated in a monthly basis? By the way, Content Delivery Networks are costly right? And moreover, 1 TB per year is very small... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice Nice! Glad that CE is growing day by day ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#

Testing the Attachment with Word Document ๐Ÿ˜
    Yo! Yo! Testing Document Yo! Yo!

CE Rockzzzz!
    Nice one... Nice attempt!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Great to know this.......๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've had no response on the announcements update so far: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No one wants to try out attachments uploading facility?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Just want to ask..I want to share a file entitled: 200 Questions and Answers on Practical Civil Engineering Works authored by Vincent T. H. CHU. I've just get it to a certain site and it has no copyright. Can I post it here(civil & structural sec)???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Unless there are no copyright related issues associated with it, you should be fine. If you're not sure, it's better not to upload ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Uploading Image ๐Ÿ˜€ No need of tinypic or imageshack now ๐Ÿ˜€

images
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you encounter any problems, please report them to me so that I can fix them ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Sure Biggie ๐Ÿ˜€

Uploading zip file,

#-Link-Snipped-#

What's the maximum limit of the attachment to get uploaded. I tried to upload a zip file of size 1.94 MB, and got an error message that you cant upload the file of 1.94 MB since maximum limit is 1.91 MB.

Error : file of 1.94 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 1.91 MB for this filetype.
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    I was trying to attach a .pptx presentation off mine but I couldn't it pops out with an error saying the file crossed file size limit (something like that) I think you have to increase the file size limit for the file extensions like word, ppt etc. Yeah also keeping in mind the security concern.

I am attaching a pdf file. Its a file downloaded from "InPhase Technologies" website based on holographic memory system. (Just like that to test it as a sample). Works fine for this extension.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @addy: Please start a new thread in relevant section and provide an appropriate title so that people find it easier to spot. You need not upload the attachment again, as it'll be there in attachments manager.
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    Okay the below is the error which i got while was trying to upload a pptx file... Yeah later I also observed that my file size was 1.54Mb and the limit given to me is 976kb but after using the attachment system twice I am having few doubts.
    1) How to delete the existing file from the repository?
    2) If it is automatically deleted from there, then what if one has to upload a file to help a CEan and couldn't due to the limit given?
    3) What is the folder section in the attachment manager and how to use it? Can we create folders or attach folders something like that?

There are Crazy things goping in my mind, please cooperate ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›

The following errors occurred:

Holographic Memory.pptx: Exceeds your quota by 749.0 KB. Click here to view your attachments
    Okay the below attachment is a ppt on Holographic memory this is not the one which I wanted to upload. I had my own presentation on the same topic. But unfortunately couldn't upload.
    Test for .pptx file
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me look into the issues. Will update as soon as I have more information.
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    The_Big_K
    @addy: Please start a new thread in relevant section and provide an appropriate title so that people find it easier to spot. You need not upload the attachment again, as it'll be there in attachments manager.
    Oh!! Actually I didnt uploaded it for any thread or something. Its just that I was trying to test the attachment manager and problems I was facing. Like a sample document. Hope you got me!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There shouldn't be any problem with the size as the typical docs have upload limit ranging between 2-3 MB. Most of the documents should be alright within the limits. For deleting your attachments, Go to -

Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Attachments.
    Biggie, isn't it possible to increase the limit of the attachments?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Of course it's possible to increase the size of attachments. What size do you suggest?
    The_Big_K
    Of course it's possible to increase the size of attachments. What size do you suggest?
    Can we have 1 MB per file and max of 20 files per user? Just a suggestion, incase you do not have any constraints. Plus, since you allow zip files, PPTX or stuff can be zipped as parts... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The current limits are more than what you've suggested. Every user can upload about 2-3 MB files and overall quota is 100 MB per user (overall). The total number of attachments a user can have could be anything as long as they're within the total size limit. Of course we support almost all common file extensions. Let me know if there are any issues while uploading the attachments. Those will be fixed on priority.
    The_Big_K
    The current limits are more than what you've suggested. Every user can upload about 2-3 MB files and overall quota is 100 MB per user (overall). The total number of attachments a user can have could be anything as long as they're within the total size limit. Of course we support almost all common file extensions. Let me know if there are any issues while uploading the attachments. Those will be fixed on priority.
    Wow... Thanx... I didn't notice the update. I will revert back with suggestions or issues if any! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    One suggestion:
    Please keep an option of only viewing the attached file, in case we don't want to download it.
    One doubt:
    I was unable to upload files because the computer said that "You are currently exceeding your capacity to upload".

Can anyone do something about it?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Does it mean that in our whole life we will not be able to upload any file if we have already exceeded our quota of 100 MB as per the existing norms? ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Also explain the clause relating to

'The file will be deleted from server if not used within 1 hour of uploading'
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Certainly not. The total quota will be made to increase in direct proportion with the Rank of any member. Currently, 100 MB is set for everyone.

One suggestion:
    Please keep an option of only viewing the attached file, in case we don't want to download it.
    Something similar to what Gmail provides? I'm certain that we can't have that facility anytime in near future. I personally don't see much difference between downloading and viewing online.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    The_Big_K
    Certainly not. The total quota will be made to increase in direct proportion with the Rank of any member. Currently, 100 MB is set for everyone.

Something similar to what Gmail provides? I'm certain that we can't have that facility anytime in near future. I personally don't see much difference between downloading and viewing online.
    i think i am diverting but i got from here if we keep only see online many will be active so that there is a chance of giving replies to the posts
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @NM: Didn't get your point. Could you please elaborate a bit on it?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hmmm let me explain on my style
    see this example
    x seeing some online files in CE
    someone posted some thing after he checked that interesting file he definitely search for new topics or files
    then he checks the new post as it updated as post by post
    so he thinks it may be some important one then he look at problem and replies if he know answer
    note: here i am considering only active people i am not counting lazy people like me
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K

But does that mean, once we have finished our quota we will not be able to upload the files?
    Yes you understood me right.I am talking about the google only. ๐Ÿ˜€ Downloading the file consumes the 'free MB' of our usage. By only viewing it we can save some 'free MB'.
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    can u assist me in how should i upload a text file while i am in the advanced section
    Regards,
    Yanivx
    Gyani | Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Are there any tutorials on it? Some people asked me about how to attach files. It is very tire some and time consuming to write to them individually how to do that.

In case of a tutorial, I can directly give them link. What say Biggie? ๐Ÿ˜
    I will write one! ๐Ÿ˜€ Today! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sure praveen. Follow this format. #-Link-Snipped-#

Simply show that attach pin option by an arrow. And write that we need to first click "Go advanced option". Simple, that would do the trick.

You computer people rock. ๐Ÿ‘
    ishutopre
    Sure praveen. Follow this format. #-Link-Snipped-#

Simply show that attach pin option by an arrow. And write that we need to first click "Go advanced option". Simple, that would do the trick.

You computer people rock. ๐Ÿ‘
    Dude, without you guys, we don't. We're just an interface... ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have Programing course this year and I must learn c and c++.Please tell me websites and if you have send me source about c and c++!
Hello, I would like to make a variable resistance controlled by voltage in order to get variable resistance for gain. I want the resistance change to be linear with the...
I realized that most of the engineering news that we discuss or cover through various channels here on CrazyEngineers are either from the West or from the Eastern countries. I...
I was looking at the biggest ships in the world and stumbled upon RMS Queen Mary 2, MS Oasis of the Seas and many other ships. Ship building is one...
Let's start building groups again. All CEans who've been recruited in TCS either through walk-ins or campus recruitments, please unite here. Let's form a group of all TCS joiners. Starting...