Ask Questions to Gerard Beekmans of Linux From Scratch!

We all are aware of OPEN SOURCE OPERATION SYSTEMS,

these OS are the ones which give us the freedom to meddle with the computer's hardware in our own way.
We are as well aware of various delicious flavours of LINUX which were the outcome of few innovative minds who wanted some thing different

Here we have an opportunity to meet one such innovative mind .Mr.Gerard Beekmans.
The project Leader for the LFS system ( LINUX FROM SCRATCH)!! Mr.Gerard had initiated LFS 10 years ago! and it's still a ongoing project .
his story being interesting where he was not 'HAPPY' with the already prearranged modules of LINUX( while many of us are very happy with spoon feeding) . He wanted to do exactly what he wanted to do , instead of doing what the OS would allow him to do .
Thus the very concept of 'Build your own Linux' was born way back in 1998
here you go. read more :#-Link-Snipped-#

and donnot forget to post your questions ๐Ÿ˜€
This thread is eagerly waiting for your questions about Linux, LFS .
let's grab this opportunity to fall more in love with LINUX.

P.S:this thread will be closing in three days. Its no rush but just that we dont want it to go sogy way!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, don't let us down guys. Where else in the world will you get a chance to get your questions answered by these personalities?

For heaven's sake, do not post 'Give me topic for project/seminar' questions here. We'll be happy to help you with queries!

Looking forward to your questions for Mr. Gerard Beekmans!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Will the advent of Linux eventually lead to the downfall of the likes of windows and mac,
    or do you see a situation of peaceful co existence?
    PS peaceful doesn't mean that they are at war now.. just to say, a homogenous coexistence. that's all
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    no more questions? ok, I'll ask one more question.

I've heard linux is immune to virus and other malware attacks. Is it because of the intrinsic design of the linux kernel or just because linux users don't form a big target for attackers? In other words, can a virus be written to infect linux at all?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    nice questions Scorpion! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice! I got some questions here, I hope I'm not too late ๐Ÿ˜€

Q. One of the reasons why LFS was created was because Linux distributions back then were restrictive and did not give much control for the user themselves. Do think this situation has changed nowadays?

Q. Who have been your inspirations, if any, during your journey to develop LFS?

Q. It is clear that getting started with LFS is not for beginners. For those who plan to initiate their Linux OS, but lack some experience, what steps or resources would you recommend them cover before getting their hands dirty with LFS? Would it be better to start working on modifying existing Linux distributions, or get straight into LFS?

Thats it for now ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Another one. Why isn't there too many games for linux?
    Let alone high graphics requiring games, even moderate games seem to be not there.
    Are open source developers purposely leaving out games?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I would like to know where does (embedded) linux stand as compared to other OS's used in embedded devices?

Also, is it feasible to build one's own embedded linux distro from LFS??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    AH!

Thanks a ton for your responses guys!

Ash! yup the thread is not yet closed! ๐Ÿ˜€

I have a few questions as well. But blunt though.

1.Many of us are just happy with what BillGates presented us and to point various flavours of LINUX.
    What propelled Mr.Beekmans to have his own LINUX BUILD.

2.How is LFS different form various flavours of LINUX. Is it the outcome of LFS a different flavour ? or we use the existing flavour to build a customised LINUX?

3.As read from the LFS book, LFS is about building a system which is secure and useful enough.What's the journey starting from the completion of LFS?

BIggie!!!

See that.. ๐Ÿ˜
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Wow, ok.

Ash has already asked the most important question I had in mind and I will write that once again!

1. For those who plan to 'make' their own flavor of Linux OS, but lack some experience, what steps or resources would you recommend them to cover before getting their hands dirty with LFS? Or would it be better to get straight into LFS?

Now mine:

2. As the name says "Linux From Scratch", can it also be used to design custom Real Time Operating Systems?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's my $ 0.02. I don't know if this question is appropriate. But I believe Gerard would be able to throw some light -

1. What are the challenges in developing the instant on operating system for desktops?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Some questions from my end as well,

• Is the basic purpose of LFS creating a lightweight distro? If so, why can't a normal user install the rpms very selectively and leave it at that.
    • One possible use that makes my mind boggle is that can I use the framework (If I can term it so), and create a linux which "scales" up. With scale, I mean can handle multiple processors on multiple machines running the same OS and sharing processing power.
    • Do you see this as a de-facto lightweight OS in the near future?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Q:
    Since LFS is about building up our OS , is it like taking up packages from existing LINUX flavours? Can we high jack from different flavours and then build upon our own flavour?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you everyone for questions. We are no longer accepting new questions ๐Ÿ˜€ !

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everybody; i need these e-books.please help me.thank you for your assistance. 1-Continuous Casting of Steel: Fundamental Principles and Practice author: Hans F. Schrewe 2-Continuous Casting of Steel author: W....
Hi. This is Anil. Can anybody suggest me a new topic for My M.E. Structural Eng. Dissertation and Seminar in Analysis and Design of Steel Structures. I will be thankful...
Hi, I am starting a project on nids. Can anyone please suggest me links to sites or books where I can find some help on the topic. Thanks.
hi friends, Is there anyway to obtain a constant vtg from a spike... ie, using an ir sensor we are detecting the movement in a room. the ir is allowed...