Article: How to assemble a PC?

Yesterday, I organized a workshop on assembling a PC from scratch. For this, I prepared a power point presentation demonstrating details I could think of. Now, if CEans are game, I would also like to upload the presentation to this forum so that anyone interested might have a look.

P.S. I haven't included any CE logos or stuff. The presentation isn't complete because I did not have the time, I explained the rest verbally. However, if you like the idea, I can complete the pending work.

You might have a look by Now you need to assemble what you bought

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: How to assemble a PC??

Mahul, why don't you write an article and post it on the Forums? We've been thinking of collecting articles from our CEans and posting them on our portal [front page].

Let's start with you, what say?
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    Thats very nice idea bigge...... :smile:
  • mahul
    mahul
    Sure, I'm game.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great!

We all look forward to your article.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Oh amazing Mahul. I always wanted to assemble a PC from scratch. But I haven't done it ever. Looking forward to your tips.

PS: Can't we also assemble laptops, mobile phones, monitors, air conditioners? I'm sure its not much.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just downloaded it, good stuff Mahul!

Some suggestions if you don't mind ๐Ÿ˜‰ Some issues that new computer builders face is which is the best components to get. Maybe you (or we) can have a list of recommended components (eg CPU, GFX cards, Motherboards, RAM, HDD, Cooler fans etc) for certain purposes?

Lets say.. budget computing, budget gaming, performance gaming, energy saving, etc ๐Ÿ˜€ That would really help users aim for which type of components to choose.

Also, Mahul, how about an overclocking guide too? Might be useful!

mayurpathak
    Oh amazing Mahul. I always wanted to assemble a PC from scratch. But I haven't done it ever. Looking forward to your tips.

PS: Can't we also assemble laptops, mobile phones, monitors, air conditioners? I'm sure its not much.
    As desirable as it is (since we are engineers), we can't really assemble those stuff mainly because the stock components are not as readily available compared to computer components. Most of the shops that do stock machine components (like washing machines) usually do not sell to individual buyers unfortunately. Also, some dedicated components are very expensive to get in single quantities.. so direct suppliers usually entertain requests for large bulk (eg 1000's).

Also, computers have standards regarding their casing form factors an connections. That's why you can interchange most of the components like the PSU, motherboard, RAM, etc with countless of other brands without worrying about compatibility problems.

Things like mobile phones and laptops have their own propriety designs, which makes them very hard to modify and interchange components. However, one nice exception is the VIA Open Laptop:

Viaopenbook.com -

If many manufacturers pick up this design, then others can manufacture similar components using the same size and connection requirements. Then we can start seeing custom built laptops flooding the market ๐Ÿ˜€
  • mahul
    mahul
    Glad you liked it Ash.

Personally, I do endorse some brands( for free of course!!) but I was always a bit wary about endorsing something on the Internet. However, I'm totally in agreement that the biggest problem new buyers face is in selecting what to buy, instead of how to assemble what you bought(because someone else does it for them).

So, if CE feels that we should include such a help section, I'm all for it. But I can't really do justice to it all by myself. So, if we do include such a section, I would request all CEans to select the best components so that we can add it to the tutorial.
  • shashh
    shashh
    Hi Mahul,
    You have done a great job.Congrats!!! Even i am interested in assembling my own PC. Please give me some tips to do it. What are all the good parts & how much it cost for you to do it? If you could suggest me that will be a graet help .

Thanks in advance

Shashh
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ash
    Just downloaded it, good stuff Mahul!

Ash, Please give me location from where i can download it. It seems I was absent from Forum for a few days and I missed a few important updates... ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’

-Crazy
  • mahul
    mahul
    crazyboy
    Ash, Please give me location from where i can download it. It seems I was absent from Forum for a few days and I missed a few important updates... ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’

-Crazy
    Crazyboy you can download it from here
    Now you need to assemble what you bought
  • mahul
    mahul
    I've finally managed to get the better of my laziness and complete the first draft of the article. #-Link-Snipped-#

So I would request all CEans to have a look at it. It's a bit lengthy at around 12 pages but I could not help it. As CEans suggested, I've included a very brief section on how to choose components for a PC.

Please keep in mind that this article can and should be bettered. So all reviews, suggestions, criticisms, add-ons and feedbacks are extremely welcome and wanted. So shoot.
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    ash
    As desirable as it is (since we are engineers), we can't really assemble those stuff mainly because the stock components are not as readily available compared to computer components. Most of the shops that do stock machine components (like washing machines) usually do not sell to individual buyers unfortunately. Also, some dedicated components are very expensive to get in single quantities.. so direct suppliers usually entertain requests for large bulk (eg 1000's).
    Ah, this problem bugged me for the longest time Ash. But try Grainger Industrial Supply for all kinds of parts, they carry many different kinds of parts from gears to breaks to motors. They also ship in small quantities, so that is great.

Also try hobby stores for fine parts, as they sometimes carry the parts for RC cars. The parts are mostly plastic though, but at least they are smaller. Also look around for broken clocks. The mechanical parts, referred to as the movement, carry plenty of fine parts for the picking.

As for the PC build, I would be interested in seeing more of these kinds of articles. I have an older Computer at home that could use some improvements and I could hopefully learn something to improve it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ Mahul
    Great article! Must have put a lot of work into it. I see you are pro-Intel ๐Ÿ˜‰

Perhaps we should have a seperate article for choosing components. Biggie started a thread on a CE computer here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Also, I suggest we refer the SMPS just as PSU (power supply unit). I believe the latter term is used more. Besides, since SMPS is the only type used in computers, I guess its alright to say PSU only.

@ Lock-Os
    Thats true, we can always look at hobby shops. Tamiya is a great place to go for the RC components! Im checking out Grainger Industrial Supply, thanks for the mention. How much is the shipping? Is it worth shipping worldwide? (Im at Malaysia). I hope they verify CrazyEngineers as a valid company *grin*

I wonder if there are open design schematics for brown and white goods. Of course, if one tries hard enough, one can find the technical service manual and some CAD designs. But the bill of materials has always eluded me ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    I don't think you need to be part of a company to order any parts. Shipping is going to be expensive though, they primarily ship in the US, not overseas, but they will do it.
  • mahul
    mahul
    ash
    @ Mahul
    Great article! Must have put a lot of work into it. I see you are pro-Intel ๐Ÿ˜‰

Perhaps we should have a seperate article for choosing components. Biggie started a thread on a CE computer here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Also, I suggest we refer the SMPS just as PSU (power supply unit). I believe the latter term is used more. Besides, since SMPS is the only type used in computers, I guess its alright to say PSU only.
    Thanks Ash for going through the article. It's a long article and would need a lot of patience to go through.

I'm not very familiar with AMD processors, that's why I have been leaning towards Intel. I would be glad if you can write a section for choosing AMD processors.

And that SMPS/PSU will be corrected soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please help me out....................... I need some topics that are very interesting and newly invented or developed ones.... Last date for submission of abstract is 28th...
I m final year student and looking for some telecom projects. plz guide me.
โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ โ™ซโ™ซฤฆร…ะฏะฏฮปโ™ซโ™ซ โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ โ™ซโ™ซฤฆร…ะฏะฏฮปโ™ซโ™ซ โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ Hi guys!! Its me HARRY. Here is a brief info about me:- Generous and warmhearted Creative and enthusiastic Broad-minded and expansive Faithful and loving..........dats...
CEans, As we say, engineers are eternal. We've been making world a better place to live by bringing improvement/innovation in everything that surrounds us. Here's presenting the one of its...
im a 3,rd yr student .i want to do a project on 8051 microcontrolller . is it possible 4 me to do 1 under sm prof of iits or sm...