arrangement problem

The integers 1, 2,........., 10 are circularly arranged in an arbitrary order. Show that there are always three successive integers in this arrangement, whose sum is at least 17.

Replies

• Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    Question may be confusing for many! It seems that no one is interested to make an attempt.
    Could you please provide us the answer?
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    Well, it is obvious.... But, i wonder, how can one prove it????????
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That is actually a bit difficult to prove.
    This a good sequence ->
    1, 10, 6, 2, 8, 7, 3, 5, 9, 4.
    None of the 3 consecutive numbers have a summation of less than 17 and it is at most 18.
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    AbraKaDabra
    That is actually a bit difficult to prove.
    This a good sequence ->
    None of the 3 consecutive numbers have a summation of less than 17 and it is at most 18.
    how about the one's marked above?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    how about the one's marked above?
    Oh yes. In a hurry I only checked these
    -

Now, that I think about it, since it is a circular arrangement 9,4,1 is also not proper.
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    I think its impossible! but I might be wrong.

Below is the least in terms of the entire sum, that can be used to satisfy the above criteria.

6,6,5,6,6,5,6,6,5,6 which adds up to - 57

But 1-10 adds up to 55.๐Ÿ˜”
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Consider the numbers 1 to 10 are marked as 1 , x1, x2, ... , x9. Not necessarily in the sequence order.

So the number are arranged randomly like this: 1,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9.

We know that sum of numbers from 1 to 10 will add upto 55.

so we will prove it in a negative way, if any of the groups above like (x1+x2+x3) or (x4+x5+x6) or (x7+x8+x9) will add up to < = (less than or equal to) 17. Then the sum 1+x1+...x9 will be <=52 which is wrong.

So atleast one of the section should be greater than 17. (Hence proved ๐Ÿ˜€ )
  • Prashanth_p@cchi
    Prashanth_p@cchi
    English-Scared
    Consider the numbers 1 to 10 are marked as 1 , x1, x2, ... , x9. Not necessarily in the sequence order.

So the number are arranged randomly like this: 1,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9.

We know that sum of numbers from 1 to 10 will add upto 55.

so we will prove it in a negative way, if any of the groups above like (x1+x2+x3) or (x4+x5+x6) or (x7+x8+x9) will add up to < = (less than or equal to) 17. Then the sum 1+x1+...x9 will be <=52 which is wrong.

So atleast one of the section should be greater than 17. (Hence proved ๐Ÿ˜€ )
    I agree...... I understood it wrong!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Marrying advanced micro electronics to biomimetics, UK and US researchers hope to give birth to cybeplasm microbots with a starting size of 1 cm that may well shrink to a...
The following is the story of Mr. Divyank Turakhia - the 30 year old guy who started his business at the age of 14; freelancing for his clients. At the...
CEans, We've installed a little survey tool to gather anonymous feedback from our users. The system shows a pop-up message and asks you to fill up a small questionnaire (takes...
Google today unveiled the big thing in video campaigns & advertising - Adwords for Videos. What the new service allows you to do is select your youtube videos and have...
Wish you many many Happy Returns of the Day praba230890 ! ๐ŸŽ‰