Are you a Good engineer?

I am sick and tired of hearing college teachers saying that "You have to become a good engineer"!
But they never take the pains to explain how..
So guys you all tell me what are the 3 things that can make a person a Good Engineer, apart from Crazy Engineer!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe it's not really possible to define what makes a good engineer. I'm tagging #-Link-Snipped-# to answer this.

You, however have asked a good question πŸ˜€ .
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    SurEC93
    I am sick and tired of hearing college teachers saying that "You have to become a good engineer"!
    But they never take the pains to explain how..
    So guys you all tell me what are the 3 things that can make a person a Good Engineer, apart from Crazy Engineer!!
    I'm not sure but according to me an engineer must first be a good human bing ....

If you are a student then be a good student first(which you might already be ) and analyse yourself from yours as well as others perspective as what they expect from you ,then I hope you'll automatically understand the qualities required for a good engineer or for the career that you may pursue further
    Generally,an engineer should be able to use every resource around him/her in an innovative way(well,I guess this applies to every field) and must never stop/hesitate in learning new things from anyone......that is you must be thoroughly update yourself .
    third one though a bit difficult ;to make your innovativeness reach common man first and your designs or whatsoever concerning your field helps society in a positive way.
    Just my point of viewπŸ˜› .Hope it clears your doubt.πŸ˜€
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    To me, a good engineer must:
    • Have a systematic approach to all problems and challenges (avoid making hasty decisions on the fly, that will only come with years of experience)
    • Have a zeal to learn and a spirit to continuously improve oneself technically and practically
    • Have good report writing and communication skills
    • Have high vision and expectation for oneself
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe it's not really possible to define what makes a good engineer. πŸ˜€ .
    If one is good at one thing that person can be good at many other pursuits as well, except perhaps in sports if physically not matched.
    1. Passion. Essential. You must want to be one at all costs.
    2. Tools of thinking and memory. Works of Edward De Bono and Tony Buzan are a big and down to earth practical help.
    3. Individual creativity coupled with co-operative, non-competitive team spirit.

You will end up a workaholic, bit of a loner (even when a good team man) and with a tendency to avoid centre stage.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Passion, zeal and creativity are three of the things I found one Engineer require to become a good engineer.
  • avii
    avii
    Engineering is about solving problems. If you can do that, well, you are a good engineer.
  • Jonnykyithar
    Jonnykyithar
    Engineer make better life.......
    Now the big problem is global warming ........ How to solve about this problem...
    That is big challenge for engineer........
    1. Find new technology
    2. Precision
    3. Never surrender
  • chithrachennai
    chithrachennai
    1.fix fuse
    2.fix bulbs
    3.any electrical n electronics problem (ONLY AT HOME )if solvable by a human he / she is a nobel laureate
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For me, a good engineer needs to be - curious, logical and communicative.

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The best engineer is one able to see a potential benefit in a mishap.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Conqueror
    The best engineer is one able to see a potential benefit in a mishap.
    That would be one entrepreneurial engineer. 😎
  • SurEC93
    SurEC93
    Nice inputs coming! Looking for more. I'll consider all to inculcate in myself.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Just be creative and innovative, and face all the challenges, fearlessly.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    I've been thinking about it since this thread was started and here's what I came up with:
    - Be an expert in one's domain
    - Quick learning capability
    This is required at two levels: One, to understand the problem statement thoroughly so that you design the optimal solution - neither over-engineered nor under-engineered (and definitely not what wasn't asked for in the first place!!). Two, there will always be instances when one doesn't know answers. In those cases, an engineer should be able to look it up, learn about it and deliver a solution.
    - Discerning enough to use right tool for the right job
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    For me, the best engineer is the one who can make things work..πŸ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    rahul69
    For me, the best engineer is the one who can make things work..πŸ˜€
    And then, how do you distinguish between an engineer and a technician?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Anand Tamariya
    And then, how do you distinguish between an engineer and a technician?
    That is the beauty of being generic, it is can be applied anywhere and the discerning depends on the person's perception.πŸ˜‰,
    For me the distinction is on the basis of scope of things,For example: a technician may know how to repair a fan but an Engineer may know how to repair the machine that create fans😎.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Hmm... engineers don't dwell in vagueness..... Engineering is exact science, isn't it?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With the induction of Aluminum alloys and Titanium.. what do you think?? could superman be stronger if he did not have the 'steel' stuff in him? Lets apply the physics...
dear friends, i am working on 2d and 3d models numerical simulation of 'metal cutting with damage effects'. please suggest me the best software to perform the above mentioned task...
Who bought "Apolsoft Android SMS Transfer" of this software? Can give me some advice? I want to be able to export my Android SMS database to my pc in a...
thank you sir.now i am cleared about this thing.i have a doubt about my carrier? when i am in second year i chosed to be a design engineer and i...
Just like everything else in the App Market, Google is giving its App Store the much needed boost on looks, feel and design. The new design that starts rolling out...