Are voltage and current interdependent?

in my class i got a doubt about relationship between voltage and current.why they are so important?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gayathiri pillai
    in my class i got a doubt about relationship between voltage and current.why they are so important?
    They are related by an equation : V = IR where V is 'voltage difference between two points', R is the resistence between those two points and R is the resistance officered to the current between the two points. It's also called as 'Ohm's Law'.

Could you tell us the doubt you had in your class about the relation between voltage difference and current?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you have a voltage source with zero internal resistance, you can have any current from zero (open circuit) to infinity (short circuit). In that sense there is no dependence.
    However, in any given real circuit what #-Link-Snipped-# says applies.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    because of the following features

Voltage is a measure of the energy carried by the charge.
    Strictly: voltage is the "energy per unit charge".

• The proper name for voltage is potential difference or p.d. for short, but this term is rarely used in electronics.
    • Voltage is supplied by the battery (or power supply).
    • Voltage is used up in components, but not in wires.
    • We say voltage across a component.

• Current is the rate of flow of charge.
    • Current is not used up, what flows into a component must flow out.
    • We say current through a component.
    • Current is measured in amps (amperes), A.
    • Current is measured with an ammeter, connected in series.
      To connect in series you must break the circuit and put the ammeter acoss the gap, as shown in the diagram.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    please follow the diagrams on dropbox.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I don't know whether this post is applicable for the above question.
    Voltage and Current are also dependent on the frequency.

So By Ohm's law, as V increases, I would also increase where R>0,
    However this is not applicable at RF. In this case, as V increases, I would decrease and vice versa.

basically V and I follow linear relation in all frequencies below RF, and at RF and above they follow differential relationship.

None of the electrical laws are applicable when the application frequency is at or above RF(Radio frequency).
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    AC Resistance of any material is larger than its corresponding DC resistance.

That is the reason why 10V DC and 10V AC supply produce different currents in the same conductor due to different resistance.

For conductors in DC only the resistances play a vital role and reactances due to capacitive and inductive are either open or short circuited giving you comparatively lesser impedance

But in AC all three elements are significant and has higher resistances Making them to conduct lesser

In RF as #-Link-Snipped-# says the effect of the capacitive and inductive components are peaked and so they seem to show inverse ohmic conditions But that is not true.

V is proportional to I for constant R only. Since this R varies dynamically in AC supply there seems to be a decrease in current as higher voltages are applied
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I was referring to constant load.
    This can be referred,
    RF & Microwave Design Essentials: Engineering Design and Analysis from DC to ... - Matthew M. Radmanesh - Google Books

My emphasis was more on the linear vs differential relationship. which is not true in case of low frequencies.
  • Gayathiri pillai
    Gayathiri pillai
    The_Big_K
    They are related by an equation : V = IR where V is 'voltage difference between two points', R is the resistence between those two points and R is the resistance officered to the current between the two points. It's also called as 'Ohm's Law'.

Could you tell us the doubt you had in your class about the relation between voltage difference and current?
    certainly sir.iam a first year eee student.when my faculty explained about currrent and voltage,she said current flows because of potential difference.in this case iam deeply intruged that why it is so.if it is not will the current will not flow.please tell me why it is.thank u for above explanation sir.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    hi watch this videos and texts in following links

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Gayathiri pillai
    certainly sir.iam a first year eee student.when my faculty explained about currrent and voltage,she said current flows because of potential difference.in this case iam deeply intruged that why it is so.if it is not will the current will not flow.please tell me why it is.thank u for above explanation sir.
    On a higher level of abstraction, do not consider voltage and current as two different entities, One can also frame the same question in different way. - Does current flow because there is potential difference or since there is potential difference, the current flows from higher potential to lower.

You can think of water jar fully filled.
    Now make two holes in it, one in middle and one lower than that.

You can see that water flows out through both holes, this flowing water can be related to current.

Also make a note that water flowing through lower hole would be with greater force than that of the middle one. This resembles the same concept of higher the potential difference, greater is the current.

Now consider that water level has decreased from top and has come to middle, when this will happen, you can see that water wont flow through the middle hole. This can be related to a special condition where no current flows when there is zero potential difference.

The examples I gave you based on the equations of energy.
    Potential energy (PE)=mgh (mass * gravity * height from reference.)
    Kinetic energy (KE)=0.5mv^2.
  • lal
    lal
    Every conductor has free electrons. And you sure know current is the flow of electrons. If these free electrons could simply flow just by their own, we would have had infinite current.But that is not the Case.

For these free electrons to move, we need a driving force. Now that is voltage. When voltage is applied across a conductor, the free electrons in it are forced to move. If the magnitude of voltage is increased, more electrons are forced to move. That is more current. Some how current seems to be directly proportional to voltage under normal conditions (ignore shortcircuit and opencircuit conditions for the time being). So clearly current flows because of the existance of a voltage (better said as potential difference).
  • Gayathiri pillai
    Gayathiri pillai
    simplycoder
    On a higher level of abstraction, do not consider voltage and current as two different entities, One can also frame the same question in different way. - Does current flow because there is potential difference or since there is potential difference, the current flows from higher potential to lower.

You can think of water jar fully filled.
    Now make two holes in it, one in middle and one lower than that.

You can see that water flows out through both holes, this flowing water can be related to current.

Also make a note that water flowing through lower hole would be with greater force than that of the middle one. This resembles the same concept of higher the potential difference, greater is the current.

Now consider that water level has decreased from top and has come to middle, when this will happen, you can see that water wont flow through the middle hole. This can be related to a special condition where no current flows when there is zero potential difference.

The examples I gave you based on the equations of energy.
    Potential energy (PE)=mgh (mass * gravity * height from reference.)
    Kinetic energy (KE)=0.5mv^2.
    thank you sir.now i can clearly understand.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Gayathiri pillai
    thank you sir.now i can clearly understand.
    I am glad this helped you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Electorluminescent lights based on polymers may replace present day fluorescent tubes. Shatter proof quiet and glowing soft white, these may shortly light up large areas for office lighting. Versatile in...
A D-I-Y crowd funded satellite is all set to swarm (and clutter) near Earth space. A Cornell inspired project, Kicksat is a palm sized satellite. https://www.designfax.net/cms/dfx/opens/article-view-dfx.php?nid=4&bid=217&et=electrical&pn=01
Here is an interesting take on why engineering and engineers are awesome. Some of the comments below the write up gives cause for thought. Not always liked, nor credit given...
Usually before any drug is used in humans some sort of animal trials are done. The trouble is that the same disease has to be generated in the animal model....
I have knowledge of 8085 & 8051. I know C too. I have read Assembly Programming step by step & Linux programming in x86 system, which i miserably failed to...