Are there less women engineers in India too?

Why aren't there more women engineers?

New figures suggesting that the number of women pursuing a career in engineering is in decline make worrying reading for the UK’s technology sector.

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    may be. (leaving aside the fact that 3/4 in my team are females 😛).
    i would like to narrate an incident. I attended som seminar on women's day where they spoke about balancing work /home relationship. The whole discussion had married women talking about thier experinces and few of them were very clear to say -" we had to slow down to meet family life demands" but they seemed happy with it. There was another woman , who was 12 yrs exp in DRDO and then moved to our company (i have no clue why) and she turned out to be unmarried. Though she was highly succesful on career front she did not have a family life.
    It is very well expected from society that girls end up taking the mundane and mediocre tasks of home- even in this age. When i had opportunity to go and work in anoter team in a diff city, i took suggestions from various people, common answer was more sort of - girls need to slow down.

or may be girls are wired not to go into engineering serivces :-s
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    no i am disagree to this statement guys they are many as girls population is less this is getting less too
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update.
    Problem contiues in UK.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Adivy
    Adivy
    As I see around there are many girls graduating as Engineers (as a matter of fact most of our University toppers are girls)but the point is only few of them actually continue to be in this field after graduating due to many reasons.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Another update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Third year CS engineering students can take up this project if you think it's not done by your seniors 😉 . Develop an android phone controlled RC car. The project...
i want to do some interesting projects in instrumentation field..can you give me your ideas?
Lecture on Design for strength from Design Of Machine Elements-I by Prof. B Maiti, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions and discuss the thread with fellow...
Design of Machine Elements - I (V & W) Lecture on Design Of Machine Elements-I by Prof. B Maiti, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to ask questions and...
Explore the topic of Design of Cylinders & Pressure Vessels via this Lecture on Design Of Machine Elements-I by Prof. G. Chakraborty, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to...