Are Smart Watches The Next Big Thing Or A 2013 Fad?

It all began with the reports of Apple developing a smart, connected wrist-watch that would be a handy companion to your smartphone or tablet. The iWatch was taken up by the tech media to all the front pages. Then there was another buzz that Apple's chief rival Samsung too was developing a Samsung Smart Watch 'Galaxy Altius' Is Under Development. Now, the latest rumors are that Google's Android team has began work on producing a wrist-watch port for their Android operating system. If the rumours are correct, we might see a new product category emerging - the tiny smart gadgets that reside on your wrist. 'Wristwatch' then won't be the most appropriate name for these devices.

Do We Need A Smart Watch?

The features that most of the companies are planning for these watches seem to be very similar. All the smart-watches being developed by Apple, Samsung and Google will be connected devices - to your mobile or tablet via Bluetooth and to the 3G / 4G networks. These watches will also read out your text messages, emails, event alerts, reminders, time, accept voice input, give you GPS navigation data etc.

slide

Do we need all of that? Maybe not! But you'll have to agree that it'd be nice to have wristwatch coupled with the smartphone or tablet. One major aspect where these smart-watches can make a difference is that they can help monitoring your health related parameters - something smartphones 'cannot do'. Image sensors embedded on the rear side of the wristwatch that always stay in touch with your skin and record health related parameters. These watches will be able to give you real time data which can be manipulated in several ways through apps. I'm quite sure that the developer community will be able to take the possibilities to a newer heights.

The Real Opportunity

If we look at the history of evolution of the wristwatch market, it's mostly remained a dumb machine throughout - telling us time and nothing more in most of the cases. There were innovations and you'd get some more information. So far, not many really thought of making the wrist-watches adapt the Internet revolution. The smart watch might just address that and create an entire new market for itself.

Do you think smart-watches are the next big thing in consumer electronics or it's just a fad?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If we look at the history of evolution of the wristwatch market, it's mostly remained a dumb machine throughout -
    there is one thing is become necessity is mobile phone.
    If I can have a mobile with all features like Gps, blah blah.. why should I have same duplicate feature in watch also.
    For me watches are a wearable fashion like cloths and I am still fan of mechanical watches with continuous Second Hand.
    I believe, smart watches are going to fail.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    My question is, 'What can a smart watch do that a smart phone can't?'
    If I already have a smart phone then why would I buy a smart watch. Unless they add some remarkable features then it will just be a fad and die out.
    People, who love gadgets will buy it. If its cheap, heck I'll buy it but I still prefer my G-Shock.
  • lal
    lal
    I wouldn't like a digital colourful toy like stuff on my wrist. Rather a heavy shiny classy metallic chunk.

This thing probably is going to be a hit in exam halls with some people!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Add Lenovo to the list too. They're making a smart watch, a Google glass competitor as well. What's up in the air, folks?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Smart watches, Fad ? Hell No!
    All Electronics Juggernauts,whether it is Samsung,Apple,Lenovo or any company will develop atleast one or two model of Smart watches & competition will increase.

Smartwatches will be new trend in Electronics world.Soon.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Again a rat race begins... starting from 144*168 pixals to half HD👀,qHD , HD and then full HD.
    some more news for suing each other 😴 ..
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    If there was just a wearable data dongle with wifi I could wear like a watch, I'd totAlly buy it. Just think: a buy a bsnl data card, insert it in the dongle and get a high speed wifi on your smartphone. Maybe that wrist watch would incorporate that? And you know what, you could make it energy efficient too: just swing it around a couple minutes and it'll br charged !!
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    But I think what smart watches would really do is augmenting concepts like google glass. The watch would handle data processing, while the glass received sorted data and sends out raw data to the watch. Neat or what?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Add Lenovo to the list too. They're making a smart watch, a Google glass competitor as well. What's up in the air, folks?
    Competition! Everyone wants a slice of the cake. If I were CEO of one of these companies I would consider whether it is worthwhile investing in a smart watch, like we are doing right here or take that same money and invest in R&D for new tech or invest in marketing strategies.
    I admit it the tech environment is like a roller coaster on descent right now - and we should thank good old competition for that; but to stay competitive you must have a strategy. Are you competing on Cost? Differentiation? or Should you target a Niche market and stick to that market. Are guys like Lenovo really poised to compete with Samsung?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

in whay way digital image processing is related to ece.
Hello Friends I am in search of a individual with great knowledge of various mobiles, gadgets etc and always remain in sync with upcoming technologies If interested then let me...
Today our CEan Praveen-Kumar is celebrating his birthday. Let's wish him a rocking year ahead. Many Many Happy Returns Of The Day PraveenKumar 🎉
Info About Robotics I have No Idea About Robot..... I want to devlop a robot which is using in robo war's...
I received an infographic in my mail this morning .. it was so interesting that I republished it on my blog - https://kidakaka.com/blog/2013/03/22/rising-cost-of-higher-education/ This is no different than what we...