Are Online Protests Effective?

Online protest seems to be a range among the youth. You can now join a protest right from the comfort of your home or your cozy cubicle in the office. The whole process is simple - all you have to do is find a relevant protest page on a social networking site and then register your interest and then keep forwarding the message without even getting your bum off the chair.

Do you think online protests are effective? Are there any real life examples where the online protests became immensely successful?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No takers? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well, what if someone *unsibals* your protest page? ๐Ÿ˜› But practical examples of online protest, if you might accept is the Tulip revolution that China is said to have curbed through its Chinese Firewall or most popularly, the revolution in Middle East throwing over dictator ship of many countries beginning from Tunisia and the latest is Syria.
  • surbhi bakshi
    surbhi bakshi
    Seriously I don't get it how some e-trash could support anna, or help us from not being SIBALLISED! ๐Ÿ˜› ;-)
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Ha! Today I was about to create one!!! But yeah, making it go viral is a tough task. And even then, the creator is screwed! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen-Kumar
    Ha! Today I was about to create one!!! But yeah, making it go viral is a tough task. And even then, the creator is screwed! ๐Ÿ˜”
    Oh but what did you wanted to support? Lokpal Bill? Against Corruption? (The hottest topics nowadays ๐Ÿ˜€)
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    They could be, you have a live example as Middle East. I read somewhere, all that fuss started on a facebook page only....๐Ÿ˜›. If it succeeded in throwing out a whole government, then i think they are quite effective.....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Issue
    Oh but what did you wanted to support? Lokpal Bill? Against Corruption? (The hottest topics nowadays ๐Ÿ˜€)
    Today the PM just crossed from one place to another, which is hardly 3 km... For that, the whole traffic for about 6 km was blocked and the block went for about 4 km!!! The saddest part was, two ambulance were blocked too!!! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Revolution in Egypt was started on some social networking site. NOT sure ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think online protests can be very effective, provided there is real protest with real people going on too.

The online version mobilizes people, giving them a reason and a motivation to go and join the real protests,
    and it's easy to create awareness online than by other means.

However, if there is no real agitation or protest going on, which can use the boost given by the online version and grow,
    then the online thing where one goes and joins a page or likes a page will mostly be meaningless.

And as people earlier have said, the power of the Internet and what it was capable of was shown by the protests in the Middle East,
    in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya etc. But in all these cases, there were raging real world protests going on as well. That's why they garnered that much support
    and could be that successful.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @SS: Point well taken. Online protests can aid in spreading the message and getting yourself heard. Because of the viral nature of the online protests, the message can be transmitted without getting edited or censored. However, unless people are on the streets; no one would take them seriously.

Middle East example is a typical example. I think CEan Maro will tell us better. Facebook helped in gathering the people on the streets. Had they stuck to FB to protest; the Government would simply have blocked FB access and get away with it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When i search for some particular topic for latest news, i mostly end with older messages which gets me annoyed.
Sir , I am doing 3 year BE electrical electronic engineering . I would like to join in the Tneb as a government servant . So what is the procedure...
IMTEX 2012 is 16th International Forming Technology Exhibition, scheduled from January 19-24, 2012, at Bangalore International Exhibition Centre, Tumkur Road, Bangalore. Tooltech 2012 is the concurrent event. The event focus...
Event Profile COMPACK PACKAGING EXPO is one of the leading exhibitions dedicated to the packagingindustry in India. The event is all set to start from 27th January 2012 at Palace...
This years exhibitors will include - Programming & Database Development Websites & Ecommerce Software Administration & Help Desk Support Graphic Design & Multimedia Networking & Telephone Systems ERP & CRM...