Are Online Friendships Good?

This is a debate topic that has been going on in my mind for some time.
I know some people who have friends online but never talk in real life. (even though the other person stays nearby)
I have met people who think online friendships is for the introverts, who can't muster the courage and go talk straight forward.
There is a mixture of opinions. Some reason their online friendship saying, they can express things better, because they get to think before they chat and leave whenever they want.
While others think thoughts are best expressed when the meet is fact to face.

What do you think CEans?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Actually world is becoming smaller day by day.Technology gives us power to interact with people beyond your reach.You cannot possibly think of interacting with almost anyone without internet.Most of us do sedentary work and have a lot of time to make friends online just by a click of mouse, sitting at your table..It is a good thing.
    However it may prove to be fatal if person at other end is deceiving you.He may extract all your personal information andyou may land in severe trouble.
    So there are both good and bad things.
    What say others?
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I do not see any reasons for not having online friends. To some extent I agree to one of Ankita's point that introverts find internet a safer and more convenient place to find friends for themselves, this condition was true for me too for quite sometime.

For past 6 years or so I have been making friends online whom I can call as my best friends, many of whom I haven't even met yet.

What I have observed from my experience is that there are mainly 2 types of people - introverts and extroverts. The later being more socially active tend to spend lesser time on computers/internet and make friends directly. The introverts, as they are usually not much active socially, tend to spend there time on internet. Over the time, they meet someone who shares their thoughts and interests and then go on to become friends. These friends could be temprorary or could go onto become long lasting friends. Its just a matter of what kind of person you are.

Am not saying that an extrovert cannot make good friends online but that depending on what type of person you are and how do you spend your time, you get to make friends accordingly.

and there's nothing wrong in getting friendly with people who share your thoughts and interests. Especially for me, being a lone child of my parents and being an introvert too, I spend most of my time on computers and happen to meet new people every now and then through forums, online games and other places. If I find anything interesting about that person, I may as well approach thim/her trying to get more cordial with that person.

there are a lot of things one can share and discuss behind the veil of the internet rather than being face to face and until now I have found most of my online friends to be very good and honest. I do try and meet them as and when it is possible for either of us.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Making online friends is good, but it should be purely on the basis of a common interest, a hobby, or a shared passion. Personally, I feel cultivating friendships in real life is more important than only on the internet. Its good if you strike up a conversation & become friends but you should always make sure that you do meet him/her atleast once in your life. This way you'll be convinced of the actual nature of the person, and be more at ease while sharing your ideas,your thoughts with that person.
    @optymistix- You are indeed very lucky.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think online friendship is nice some times wrong for some times depending on the understand of the people
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    I think online friendship is good depending on your motive. Having friends from different parts in this world is great...you can share your thoughts and exchange your opinions to each other.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I guess all the CEans are in favor of online friendships.
    So, this isn't turning out to be a debate topic. :roll:
  • nikeace003
    nikeace003
    its also another way of meeting people which you thought that never existed..
    and it gives you the idea of knowing that you're not the only person in this world..and despite of the individual differences that we have..We still find ourselves with something in common with the aid of social networking sites..
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AbraKaDabra
    I guess all the CEans are in favor of online friendships.
    So, this isn't turning out to be a debate topic. :roll:
    Many a times it happens that person at other end is deceiving you isn't it?
    I have seen and read some of examples.Especially in context of matrimonial sites.What say everyone?
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Online friendship is not a bad thing. Online friendship doesnt mean only chatting online. However on some or other day they exchange contact numbers or even try to meet each other . Till now i followed this procedure with my online friends. It may be a virtual world , but people there are real. But i hate timepass friendships. All online friends ar enot for timepass. They are equal to the friends whom me meet regularly. Chatting with people( online ) just for timepass is a wrong thing and i dont support that.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The first thing that needs to be defined in this discussion is what is 'friendship'. Is it mere knowing someone's name and interests and maybe knowing how he/she looks? Or there are more dimensions to it. Also, I believe there's no good or bad thing associated with online acquaintances. I've formed business relationships with many individuals whom I've never met. I've had an opportunity to be friendly with many people who are directly or indirectly a part of common ventures.

To summarize my point - I think it's about personal definition of 'friendship'.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am agree with Biggie.

I have very close friends from one forum and we also used to talk on phone too. I have never experienced anything wrong yeah it totally depends on you that what you have to share. If you found that this guy is worthy then you can share if you think its not ok then don't share.

This is from our Cean Rifaa:- He founds some friends who had sent some electronics component which was not available in his country.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I have an answer in both the side...

Advantages: Online friends are available to chat with anytime. I mean, they don't need a physical presence. Another thing is, distance doesn't matter. You can have a friend from US and you are in India and have a chat or share knowledge, where as physical doesn't.

Disadvantages: It makes the users to be bound to the computer and they don't get the real life friends. Another main thing is, feelings cannot be shared online.
  • Paul.
    Paul.
    Online friendship are good, but from my point of view is very bad to limit yourself at this kind of friendship.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey friends I want to start a discussion about different cooling systems used in automobiles especially in cars. For example radiators.But there are many types of them.So we can discuss...
Pragyan is back guys, with loads of new events. Check them out here. Pragyan 11, NIT Trichy, 17 - 20 Feb 2011.
energy souces like the solar and the wind are being given importance now a days. our former president Dr. Abdul kalaam has a vision that by 2030, the tribals at...
hi everyone. i feel that the NGO's in various countries should take up projects from the government and pass on the work to the poorer and the unemployed group of...
The S band is currently making headlines in India! One of India’s prestigious Organizations, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is in middle of the controversy. There are speculations that this...