Are nuclear and thermal powers different?

I have basic doubt in nomenclature we generally use terms nuclear and thermal power separately but according to me the thermal energy of nuclear reaction is used in nuclear power so nuclear should also be the part of thermal itself or there is any other advanced method of direct conversion is used in nuclear power.

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Nuclear power refers to power generation using either fission or fusion reaction. Thermal power refers to power generation using exothermic chemical reaction. That's the difference.
  • Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    Anand Tamariya
    Nuclear power refers to power generation using either fission or fusion reaction. Thermal power refers to power generation using exothermic chemical reaction. That's the difference.
    yes sir but ultimately the heat energy of nuclear reactions is used in generating energy so if the only exothermic chemical reaction is taken as thermal energy...
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Nuclear power plant produce energy in the form of heat by the fission of atoms. The cooling system removes this heat from the Nuclear reactor core which is converted to pressurized steams, and this helps to runs the turbine to produce electricity.
    As you said, thermal energy is the part of nuclear power plant's principle. since the major source for this power plant is Nuclear energy, we are not giving much importance to thermal energy in nomenclature.
  • Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    aarthivg
    Nuclear power plant produce energy in the form of heat by the fission of atoms. The cooling system removes this heat from the Nuclear reactor core which is converted to pressurized steams, and this helps to runs the turbine to produce electricity.
    As you said, thermal energy is the part of nuclear power plant's principle. since the major source for this power plant is Nuclear energy, we are not giving much importance to thermal energy in nomenclature.
    ok sir so I have to take nuclear and thermal separately that is if anyone ask contribution of thermal power then my answer should not include the count of nuclear?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    ok sir so I have to take nuclear and thermal separately that is if anyone ask contribution of thermal power then my answer should include the count of nuclear?
    Your answer must not include nuclear power. Nomenclature is used to classify things into distinct categories. In this particular case, it is used to differentiate the ORIGIN of power and not the intermediate phases.
  • Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    Akhilesh Kumar Nair
    Anand Tamariya
    Your answer must not include nuclear power. Nomenclature is used to classify things into distinct categories. In this particular case, it is used to differentiate the ORIGIN of power and not the intermediate phases.
    The word origin gives me a clear sense to relate and to justify this nomenclature thanks sir.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm seeking suggestions on what are the best ways to send money from India to abroad. While I'd be sending money to France, I want to have suggestions on most...
Samsung Electronics has today launched the much-anticipated and talked-about gadget in the tech town. Called the Samsung Galaxy Round - the company has pioneered the launch of the world's first...
hello every one... can you suggest me for design calculation for flow control valve???? gate valve , globe valve , ball valve etc.
Apple Inc. is all set to sizzle the tablet market with the launch of latest iPads on October 22 - sources say. The news came to light when AllThingsD reported...
LG Electronics India has today made new additions to Ultra HD TV portfolio by unveiling two new models- 55-inch and 65-inch. Making the home entertainment experience bigger and better, LG...