Are newspapers dying?

Let's face it, newspapers bring us yesterday's news. It carries no video, no audio.

Internet is real time, has text, audio and video.

Are we entering an era of no newspapers?

What say you?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    As far as my experience is concerned in our country most of the people rely on news papers and I heard most of people saying without reading news paper the day will not start!

Yes there is a option of online but internet in every home with is a bit distant dream atleast till 10 more years.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    No not yet,In small cities as of mine newspapers are the only way of getting news.
    but if you talk about news channels then it can be said that news papers are dying.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How about in next 20 years?
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    the state of news papers after twenty years.... probably will be a display object of history or some thing like the ancient scrolls or something.

we have to face it they are facing slow death in the hands of internet, TV.

obviously one would always prefer real time news to news papers.

consider this situation: India wins the final of a world cup.
    there is immediate jubliation but for some one totally dependent on news papers the news will reach them after all the euphoria has died out.

even in politics.YSR goes missing it is an immediate news and all the upto date info is got only on TV, internet.

think about it.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I second you on your thoughts.

With booming new technologies, internet & fast spreading NEWS arena; newspapers are surely going to die very soon.

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok..

firstly,, magazines with vedio have already entered market. except the fact that they are expensive.

secondly, News paper agencies ( i don't know the article or the person name, I think I read it on CE itself ) are coming in terms with Internet content providers to safe gaurd News papers.

As far As i go, i would rather prefer reading Newspaper and not a news e-paper
  • Vega
    Vega
    I still read newspapers. ANd newspapers are not just for news. there are plenty of things apart from breaking news e.g. editorials, local suppliments, readers voice, crossword, cartoons and what not. An online copy looks like pool of row data, whereas paper copy is much more filtered and descent. Easy to handle and carry.

I don't think newspapers are dying. if one looks at their sales reports, they are flurishing. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vega
    I still read newspapers. ANd newspapers are not just for news. there are plenty of things apart from breaking news e.g. editorials, local suppliments, readers voice, crossword, cartoons and what not. An online copy looks like pool of row data, whereas paper copy is much more filtered and descent. Easy to handle and carry.

I don't think newspapers are dying. if one looks at their sales reports, they are flurishing. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Come on, you know what you say is available online too. I believe online media is much more unbiased. When a newpaper is controlled by a political party, most of the editorials are biased. ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    yeah all these are available on the internet as well, these crosswords and cartoons ( garfield ,tiger,hagar the horrible and all).
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    Local news isn't available online. At least for my town. So I read it. I feel I am reading when I am reading newspaper which is not the case with reading online.
  • Rupali Rout
    Rupali Rout
    Newspapers are here to stay.For many the day starts with the newspaper.Online newspaper is not available for everyone and reading it is quite tiresome.As for me I still love going through each page of da newspaper.Some things should remain the way they are! But then its a matter of choice.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Not for me.. They are'nt dying yet..

Instant news and all is all right, but I would still prefer holding the paper and reading it rather than looking at an lcd screen..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    cooltwins
    yeah all these are available on the internet as well, these crosswords and cartoons ( garfield ,tiger,hagar the horrible and all).
    But can you write on these online crosswords? *grin*

Like what Rupali said.. I don't know about you guys, but try reading the equivalent of all the content of the newspapers (or magazine) on a monitor. Go on, try! Not exactly easy on the eyes. It is also tedious to scroll and click (and waiting for the pages to load) compared to flipping through. Other than the content of the newspaper, perhaps the context in how and where it is read. Reading the pages of the newspaper over a nice breakfast (or in the train on the way to work), cutting out particular sections of interest, doodle over puzzles, debating with friends over a particular article/column, something for house guests to read, etc. It even has uses when utilized as wrappers and water absorbers.

I'm thinking newspapers and online news are complement with each other. Some people do enjoy taking their time to read in a relaxed and easy environment, even if its half a day old.

In terms of bias, I doubt there is a difference. Online news agencies can still be at the mercy of the Government, and all it takes is banning the website entirely. If you look hard, you can still find rogue news (both offline and online) that are not so biased.. if it really matters.
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    i heard about a newspaper made using nanotechnology with which we can stick small nano particles on paper and make it use as a portable screen, thus with a move of twenty years, the newspapers will take a change and show us videos and audio files along with the usual text..
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    newspapers are surely not dying out so soon. but surely there's being a transformational phase. Just like televisions phased out radios, similarly online news is slowly but surely replacing newspapers. But for it to become a 'display object of history', it will require atleast a 50 more years. A good internet access is must for online streaming news and articles and such a connection is still a dream in most parts of the world. Even in India itself, internet connection is not so easily available in all parts of country. When at home in Mumbai, I enjoy broadband connection but when back in hostel I have to do with this tortoise like cdma/gsm based connection which is sufficient only to read pages but not for streaming videos.

Online media is an object for the rich middle class and above as it is them who are enjoying good internet availability. Most of the average people in the world are still without internet, sometimes due to monetary issues sometimes due to availability.

the times of india newspaper is available on the net as an e edition. how many of you read that??? I believe TOI sells more hardcopies of newspapers than it gets visitors on that site
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nope! they won't die out soon. I know people who can't leave their homes without reading the fresh newspaper in the morning.
  • callyD
    callyD
    Though several studies say that... I have a hard time imagining a world without the kind of news that newspapers provide.
  • sbscetferozpur
    sbscetferozpur
    not really because in india normally each and every people dont know about computer.
    people generally dependent on newspapers.
    but internet is definately a better option which helps in saving paper to a great extend...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In many cases whenever i studied about any topic then there it is usually written use third party software like if say command prompt is not available then we have...
if we have developed a website then how to make it live so that everyone can access it..:
CEans, Have you ever noticed these buttons below every post? They are special buttons that can help us get more traffic, if you all help ๐Ÿ˜€. The first button: represents...
can you do one favour for me guys...๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ži am second year student ya,i need somehelp about project. and i want some project title and tell me the website address about...
hello engineers.Iam currently doing a project on robot arm that involves five degree of freedom.actually iam using stepper motor as actuator..so please suggest me suitable microcontroller for my project..torque capacity=50...